a month agoEx-Newcastle U23 coach Beardsley responds to his football ban

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Ex-Newcastle U23 coach Beardsley responds to his football banby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Newcastle United U23 coach Peter Beardsley has responded to his football ban.The 58-year-old has been suspended from all football-related activity after being found guilty of making racist comments by an independent regulatory commission.Beardsley left his role as Newcastle United Under-23 coach earlier this year following an internal investigation. He has now been banned by the FA until April 29 next year.In a statement released on behalf of Beardsley by the player’s representatives, Farleys Solicitors LLP, the ex-England man said: “Peter Beardsley is very surprised and disappointed by the decision of the Regulatory Commission.”It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the Disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that The FA Rules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.”After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the Commission has expressly found that he is not a racist.”Peter and his legal advisers have been inundated with support from all over the Country, both from fellow professionals of the highest repute including John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Les Ferdinand and Andrew Cole, as well as other football professionals including managers, coaches, players, and football fans, all of which provided unchallenged evidence to the Commission as to Peter’s good character, the fact that he is not a racist and whatever was said, there was no intent to cause offence.”Peter has had many great years at Newcastle United and despite the circumstances of his dismissal he will always have the Club close to his heart and wishes the fans the success they deserve in the future. Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter. Peter has always been willing and eager to attend all and any training organised by the Club. “Peter fully appreciates all the support over what has been a difficult period for him and his family, particularly that of previous manager and colleague Arthur Cox.”Peter has categorically denied the allegations throughout whilst continuing to honour the contractual obligations of confidentiality to Newcastle United and maintaining his silence which in itself has been very difficult.”With no avenue left open to him to clear his name Peter has no choice but to acknowledge the decision and now looks forward to moving on with his life and resuming his career.”He shall respect the sanction imposed and looks forward to returning to work in football, which has been his life, at the end of his suspension.” last_img read more

Photo: Nebraska Students Wearing Protective Goggles To Mock Notorious Iowa Eye Poker Adam Woodbury

first_imgNebraska students wear goggles to mock Adam Woodbury.Don’t even think about poking the Nebraska men’s basketball student section in the eye today, Adam Woodbury. The Huskers have come prepared. In an obvious attempt to mock the Iowa big man, a notorious eye gouger, three Nebraska students are sporting protective eye goggles for the Huskers’ game against the Hawkeyes this afternoon. Check it out: Students in the @HuskerRedZone wearing protective goggles today, just in case Adam Woodbury gets too close. pic.twitter.com/bYM6rnpAGH— Robin Washut (@RobinWashut) February 22, 2015That’s just fantastic. Nebraska (13-13, 5-9 Big Ten) and Iowa (16-10, 7-6 Big Ten) are set to tip off at 3 p.m. E.T. The Huskers will be wearing special throwback uniforms for Legends Weekend.last_img

CBS Sports Ranks Its 5 Most Difficult College Football Schedules Of 2016

first_imgCBS Sports’ Tom Fornelli decided to rank what he believes to be the five most difficult schedules heading into the 2016 college football season Friday afternoon. #FridayFive: The five teams with the most difficult schedules in 2016 https://t.co/BLaRUUprr1 pic.twitter.com/aSJ99tGp1l— Tom Fornelli (@TomFornelli) June 10, 2016With a lot of schedules to work through, these are the five he came up with.1. Wisconsin 2. USC 3. Alabama 4. BYU 5. AuburnA couple thoughts: There’s no way Wisconsin’s schedule is more difficult that USC’s. The Trojans have one of the most daunting slates in recent memory. In case you missed it, we ranked our 15 most difficult schedules for 2016 earlier this year and you can find that here.What do you think, college football fans? Did he get it right?last_img read more

Quebec town cancels twin cities project in country accused of human rights

first_imgMONTREAL — A town east of Montreal has cancelled a twin cities project with Bujumbura in Burundi after an outcry from members of the African country’s Canadian diaspora who called the state a brutal dictatorship.Yves Corriveau, mayor of Mont-St-Hilaire, Que., signed the twin cities deal on July 11 in Burundi, but his council revoked the agreement Tuesday night in his absence.As soon as an association of Burundian Canadians found out about the deal they wrote an open letter reminding Corriveau of the rapes, murders and other human rights abuses allegedly committed by security services in that state.The town council said in a statement Tuesday the agreement between the two cities was not properly approved.Omer Ndacayisaba, a federal bureaucrat and member of the association that wrote to Corriveau, said today he is happy to hear the town council cancelled the twin cities project.Twin city deals are legal agreements entered into between two cities to promote cultural and commercial ties. Montreal, for instance, has similar agreements with a number of cities, including Hiroshima, Manila, and Shanghai.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Stars Celebrate End Of Cosmetics Testing On Animals In Europe

first_imgCruelty Free International, the global non-profit organization dedicated to ending cosmetics testing on animals worldwide, has been joined by celebrities Chrissie Hynde, Twiggy, Jenny Seagrove, Kimberly Wyatt and Joanna Lumley, to celebrate the end of cosmetics testing on animals in Europe.“Cruelty-free beauty is here in the EU at last!” said Joanna Lumley. “I have been calling for this day with Cruelty Free International (BUAV) since 1991. Well done Cruelty Free International for your tireless work in the EU to end the terrible practice of testing cosmetics on animals.”The final phase of the 7th amendment of the EU Cosmetics Directive, which is set to come into force on 11th March 2013, will mean that new cosmetic products and ingredients on sale in the EU will not be tested on animals anywhere in the world. The ban will affect all cosmetics including all toiletries and beauty products, from soap to toothpaste. This historic achievement is the culmination of over 20 years of campaigning spearheaded by the BUAV, founder of Cruelty Free International.“I am proud to have supported Cruelty Free International (BUAV) throughout this significant campaign to end the sale of animal-tested cosmetics in the EU,” said Twiggy.
“I have always supported the work of Cruelty Free International (BUAV) to end cosmetics testing on animals and I am delighted to be a part of this historic event,” added Jenny Seagrove. “Congratulations to Cruelty Free International for securing this victory for animals!”Over the years, the campaign to end cosmetics testing on animals has received overwhelming support from a host of high profile celebrities, including Sir Paul McCartney, Ricky Gervais, Morrissey, Sienna Miller, Joss Stone, Jude Law, Dannii Minogue, The Levellers, Annie Lennox, Toyah Wilcox, Alexei Sayle, Gillian Taylforth, Andrew Sachs and Sadie Frost.“I joined with Cruelty Free International (BUAV) to speak out against animal cosmetics testing in 1996,” said Chrissie Hynde. “I am thrilled to hear this great news for animals and congratulate Cruelty Free International for their hard work and determination to make this happen, and the EU for doing the right thing by the animals and putting the humanity into beauty.”
In 2012, the BUAV established Cruelty Free International, the first global organization dedicated to ending cosmetics animal testing worldwide. Shockingly over 80% of the world still allows animal testing for cosmetics. Cruelty Free International works with governments, regulators, companies and partner organisations and has placed the issue of animal testing on the agenda of many governments for the very first time as part of a global strategy to tackle product testing on animals. Cruelty Free International will apply its determination and vision on a global stage to repeat its success in Europe across the world.“WE DID IT!!!” said Kimberly Wyatt. “It took 20 years but as of March 11, 2013 testing cosmetic products on animals will be banned in the EU! We’ve done all we could here at Beautiful Movements Cosmetics to help fight for that change and now that it is happening we feel elated! Time to celebrate our furry friends’ victory!”last_img read more

YouTube suspends star over suicide video doesnt shut door

first_imgPASADENA, Calif. – YouTube has suspended a star who posted video images of what appeared to be a suicide victim but said Saturday that doesn’t mean it won’t work with him in the future.The video service announced this week that it had pulled Logan Paul’s channel from its ad-supported Google Preferred platform and put two other projects on hold.YouTube chief business officer Robert Kyncl said Saturday there’s no timetable for when Paul’s future will be addressed again. Kyncl didn’t shut YouTube’s door on Paul.“Everything is evolving so fast,” Kyncl said. “The best thing we can do is put all projects on hold indefinitely, and there’s no date or plan for him in the future.”Paul apologized for posting video of him in a forest near Mount Fuji in Japan near what seemed to be a body hanging from a tree. The location is known in Japan as a frequent site for suicides.YouTube said the images violated its policies. Paul pulled the images from his channel on his own.YouTube was criticized for moving slowly in response, taking nearly two weeks to take action. YouTube said on Twitter this week that critics were right to be frustrated by its initial lack of response.Kyncl said Paul recognizes that he has made serious missteps and has expressed remorse for them.“The most important thing to focus on is that actions speak louder than words and Logan has the opportunity to prove that,” he said.Removing Paul’s work from the Google Preferred platform cuts off a significant route to advertising revenue through YouTube. YouTube also said it would not feature Paul in the fourth season of its series “Foursome” and would put other work on hold. Paul is one of the platform’s biggest stars, with Forbes magazine estimating he earned $12.5 million last year.YouTube said it would soon announce steps to protect advertisers from having their products connected to controversial material.last_img read more

Derek slams BJP for featuring children in promotional video

first_imgKolkata: Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha MP Derek O’Brien came down heavily on the BJP for flouting the model code of conduct laid down by the Election Commission of India by featuring children under the age of 14 in its political promotional video.In his Twitter handle, O’Brien said: “After being insensitive to children with dyslexia, Modi and the BJP do it again! Children under 14 being used in political promo music video. Breaking EC rules. Shameless. #CheatIndia So desperate for votes?” Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellersHe pointed out that the Delhi High Court in a judgment on 15 July, 2013, advised political parties to take note of provisions of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000 which is concerns children in the age group 14 to 18 years. The court had said that the provisions under the act should not be flouted during election campaign. He alleged that Modi used pictures of jawans to seek votes. It may be mentioned here that various top Trinamool Congress leaders had been vocal against the BJP for its attempt to take credit of the Balakot air strike. Many banners were put at various points in the city by the state BJP leaders with photos of armed forces. They also brought the matter to the notice of the Election Commission. The Commission has however issued necessary instructions to the administration to remove all such banners.last_img read more

Prince William goes back to college

first_imgBritain’s Prince William is to become a full-time student of agricultural management for 10 weeks as he forges a life after the military, the royal family announced on Monday.William will learn about the issues facing rural communities and the farming industry in Britain during the course, which begins next week at the prestigious Cambridge University.The course will help the 31-year-old prince in his future role running the Duchy of Cornwall, a portfolio of land, property and investments he will inherit when his father, Prince Charles, becomes king. A royal spokesman said William was “very much looking forward to it”.William, who is second in line to the throne, gave up his operational career with the Royal Air Force in September after completing a three-year stint as a search and rescue helicopter pilot.He will follow a course run by the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership (CPSL), an institution within Cambridge University’s School of Technology. His father is the School’s patron.The Duke will have 18 to 20 hours of lectures, seminars and meetings a week.He is expected to live in Cambridge part of the time during his studies, but will still carry out royal engagements over the coming months.The royal spokesman said the “programme of seminars, lectures and meetings will draw on the strengths of academics across the university.”The course will end in mid-March, before Williams heads to Australia and New Zealand with his wife Kate for a visit in April. The couple’s son, Prince George, is expected to join them.last_img read more

Ohio States Marshon Lattimore set for surgery

Ohio State football freshman cornerback Marshon Lattimore is scheduled for surgery on Wednesday morning, according to his personal Twitter account @_ShonL2 Tuesday night.Lattimore has since deleted the tweet.Lattimore, who was a consensus four-star prospect out of Glenville High School in Cleveland, and a U.S. Army All-American, starred on a Tarblooder team that advanced to the Division II Ohio state championship game in 2013.The news of Lattimore’s surgery was first reported by Eleven Warriors.Coach Urban Meyer did not mention Lattimore’s name Monday when he discussed the open corner position opposite senior Doran Grant.The Buckeyes are scheduled to take on Navy Saturday at noon at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

De Bruyne only interested in beating Brazil

first_imgKevin De Bruyne is not interested in whether Belgium’s upcoming World Cup game against Brazil is being considered as a “classic” and the only thing he is interested in is winningThe Red Devils will face the five-time winners on Friday in what is widely being viewed as a mouth-watering tie with Belgium’s golden generation of De Bruyne, Eden Hazard and Romelu Lukaku set to go head-to-head with Brazil’s star duo of Neymar and Philippe Coutinho.But for De Bruyne, the only thing that matters is winning.“I don’t really care if it’s a classic or not,” he said, as stated on the Daily Star.“If we get a scrappy 1-0 in the last minute I’ll be happy.“Yes, Brazil are a good side but I think every team left in the tournament has great qualities. We have great offensive qualities, Brazil have great offensive qualities.”Belgium were fortunate to have been able to reach the quarter-finals of the tournament after falling two goals down against Japan before mounting a stunning late comeback to seal a 3-2 win.But De Bruyne knows they cannot allow that to happen against a side with the quality of Brazil.“The goal is always to be better and there are always lessons to be taken,” he said.Neymar, BrazilNeymar can win the Ballon d’Or, says Ander Herrera Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 An “excited” Ander Herrera believes new Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Neymar is a contender for the Ballon d’Or alongside Kylian Mbappe.“We have to do our job against Brazil. You have to win the game. You can play bad, but you have to win. You can play good, but you have to win. If you don’t, then you go home.“We want to try and stay until the end.”Teammate Marouane Fellaini is expecting a “tough” encounter against Tite’s men, but has confidence in the Belgium squad ahead of their biggest game in years.“Yeah it’s been a very good week but the most important thing is we’re through to the quarter-finals,” said the 30-year-old.“The next match will be tough. We know the quality of Brazil, the quality of their players, so it will be a good test for us.“But I think we are a good group with good players and a good mentality.“We’re more mature than before and we’ve been working together for a long time, you can’t forget that. So we have a big game on Friday and want to show everyone what we can do.”Belgium will not solely be focusing on Neymar: “Of course they have Neymar, yes, but they’ve got Coutinho, Firmino and Jesus as well,”“I don’t want to put pressure on our players but we have quality up front too.”last_img read more