THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE WHISTLE

first_imgDuring the 2004 NTL’s, they will eat 13kg of bananas and 5 boxes of lollies per day. They will drink 30 litres of water per timeslot and 200 tea bags worth of tea. They will use 18 bags of ice per day, and they are some of the fittest athletes that touch has to offer. Whether you love them or you hate them, nobody can deny that referees are an integral part of any touch tournament. For the past 20 tournaments, Alan Williams has been the Assistant Manager of the referees, a position which requires him to work alongside Referees Manager, Mike Harris and attend to the needs of the referees during the tournament. Although his job is a tough one, Alan comes back to his referees simply because he loves doing his job. “I just love being here, the referees really appreciate what you do for them. I can’t referee myself anymore so it’s great to just come here and help out, just as others did for me when I was a referee”, he says. During tournaments such as NTL, referees are divided into teams, a tactic which many referees believe contributes to the strong friendships and sense of comraderie established amongst them. “You wouldn’t believe the friends I’ve made through refereeing at national level,” says NTL 2004 Referee Richard “Tickets” Lawry. “It’s all about mateship and watching the younger referees move up through the ranks.” Fellow referee Colin “Casper” Farlow also highlights how friendships drive most of the referees to come back each year. “The friendships we make during NTL are unbelievable!” This sense of mateship can be shown through their “Elders” system. Team members, who are Level six referees and identified as “Elders” can make younger referees, known as “assistants”, make donations and do tasks. Examples could be wearing a crazy wig for making mistakes, such as not taking all equipment to games or knocking a player over. The donations collected during the tournament are given to a charity decided by the players. This activity is just another example of team building exercises that the referees take part in. Sadly, one of Australia’s and also the World’s, best referees will end his national career at this years 2004 NTL’s. Rick Borg has been the top referee in Australia for 13 years, and the Number 1 in the world for the past nine years. His teammates and also officials describe Rick as a legend of the game, an unassuming leader who helps to guide the younger referees. So, whenever you’re about to question a referee, take a moment to remember what fine athletes they are, and like the players are here to do their best…and have a bit of fun at the same time! Lisa Plummerlast_img read more

a month agoEx-Newcastle U23 coach Beardsley responds to his football ban

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Ex-Newcastle U23 coach Beardsley responds to his football banby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Newcastle United U23 coach Peter Beardsley has responded to his football ban.The 58-year-old has been suspended from all football-related activity after being found guilty of making racist comments by an independent regulatory commission.Beardsley left his role as Newcastle United Under-23 coach earlier this year following an internal investigation. He has now been banned by the FA until April 29 next year.In a statement released on behalf of Beardsley by the player’s representatives, Farleys Solicitors LLP, the ex-England man said: “Peter Beardsley is very surprised and disappointed by the decision of the Regulatory Commission.”It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the Disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that The FA Rules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.”After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the Commission has expressly found that he is not a racist.”Peter and his legal advisers have been inundated with support from all over the Country, both from fellow professionals of the highest repute including John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Les Ferdinand and Andrew Cole, as well as other football professionals including managers, coaches, players, and football fans, all of which provided unchallenged evidence to the Commission as to Peter’s good character, the fact that he is not a racist and whatever was said, there was no intent to cause offence.”Peter has had many great years at Newcastle United and despite the circumstances of his dismissal he will always have the Club close to his heart and wishes the fans the success they deserve in the future. Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter. Peter has always been willing and eager to attend all and any training organised by the Club. “Peter fully appreciates all the support over what has been a difficult period for him and his family, particularly that of previous manager and colleague Arthur Cox.”Peter has categorically denied the allegations throughout whilst continuing to honour the contractual obligations of confidentiality to Newcastle United and maintaining his silence which in itself has been very difficult.”With no avenue left open to him to clear his name Peter has no choice but to acknowledge the decision and now looks forward to moving on with his life and resuming his career.”He shall respect the sanction imposed and looks forward to returning to work in football, which has been his life, at the end of his suspension.” last_img read more

2yrold raped in Gurugram

first_imgGurugram: In a single day two cases were registered in the city that again highlighted how vulnerable the children in the city are. In the first case, a two-year-old was raped by a drunkard. The police have arrested a 23-year-old man from Bihar on the charge of raping a two-year-old girl in a slum near Sector 84 here on Tuesday night when the child was alone at home. An FIR was lodged under the POCSO Act. In another incident, a 43-year-old man arrested for allegedly molesting his 14-year-old daughter when she was sleeping in her house in Badshahpur. According to the police, the relationship between the teen’s parents has been strained for some time. They allegedly live separately in the same house. Police spokesperson Subhash Boken said, “The girl used to be with her mother on some days and with her father on other days.”last_img read more

YouTube suspends star over suicide video doesnt shut door

first_imgPASADENA, Calif. – YouTube has suspended a star who posted video images of what appeared to be a suicide victim but said Saturday that doesn’t mean it won’t work with him in the future.The video service announced this week that it had pulled Logan Paul’s channel from its ad-supported Google Preferred platform and put two other projects on hold.YouTube chief business officer Robert Kyncl said Saturday there’s no timetable for when Paul’s future will be addressed again. Kyncl didn’t shut YouTube’s door on Paul.“Everything is evolving so fast,” Kyncl said. “The best thing we can do is put all projects on hold indefinitely, and there’s no date or plan for him in the future.”Paul apologized for posting video of him in a forest near Mount Fuji in Japan near what seemed to be a body hanging from a tree. The location is known in Japan as a frequent site for suicides.YouTube said the images violated its policies. Paul pulled the images from his channel on his own.YouTube was criticized for moving slowly in response, taking nearly two weeks to take action. YouTube said on Twitter this week that critics were right to be frustrated by its initial lack of response.Kyncl said Paul recognizes that he has made serious missteps and has expressed remorse for them.“The most important thing to focus on is that actions speak louder than words and Logan has the opportunity to prove that,” he said.Removing Paul’s work from the Google Preferred platform cuts off a significant route to advertising revenue through YouTube. YouTube also said it would not feature Paul in the fourth season of its series “Foursome” and would put other work on hold. Paul is one of the platform’s biggest stars, with Forbes magazine estimating he earned $12.5 million last year.YouTube said it would soon announce steps to protect advertisers from having their products connected to controversial material.last_img read more

Marlboro maker leaps into the cannabis trade with 24B

first_imgNEW YORK — One of the world’s biggest tobacco companies is diving into the cannabis market with a $2.4 billion investment in Cronos Group, a Canadian medical and recreational marijuana company.Altria, which makes Marlboro cigarettes, is taking a 45 per cent stake in the Toronto company.Cronos said Friday that the Richmond, Virginia, tobacco company will pay another $1.4 billion for warrants that if exercised, would give the Altria a 55 per cent majority ownership stake.Cronos first announced that it was in talks with Altria this week.The Associated Presslast_img

PRRD moves closer to passing bylaw prohibiting sales of cannabis pipes bongs

first_imgAfter getting back the recommendations from that review, PRRD staff made several amendments to the bylaw, including adding definitions for ‘cannabis,’ ‘cannabis accessory,’ and ‘cannabis-related business,’ while also amending a reference to the since-repealed Municipal Act.In a report presented to the Board back in February, staff wrote that the intention of the ban on cannabis sales is pre-emptive to prevent cannabis retail stores setting up shop and becoming grandfathered in.“Through the zoning amendment process, the Regional Board would have an opportunity to look at the specific context of the location and consider public input,” said the report.So far, a number of municipalities in Northeast B.C. have passed bylaws or are in the process of passing bylaws allowing recreational cannabis sales, including Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, and Tumbler Ridge.Earlier this year, the District of Taylor passed a bylaw pre-emptively banning the sale of cannabis in order for District Council to learn more about the provincial government’s regulations and to gather feedback from residents.With the Regional District Board voting in favour of the bylaw passing second reading, the PRRD will hold a public hearing on the proposed bylaw, which will take place at the Regional Board meeting on August 23rd. DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District has moved one step closer to pre-emptively prohibiting the sale of cannabis ahead of the legalization of recreational cannabis this fall.At last week’s meeting, the PRRD Board voted in favour passing second reading on the proposed bylaw, which would disallow not only the sale of recreational cannabis, but also would prohibit the sale of any items that could be used to consume cannabis such as pipes, bongs, vaporizers, or similar accessories.The proposed bylaw passed first reading back on February 22nd, after which it was sent off for a legal review. The full bylaw and discussion at last week’s meeting can be found here (item B-2 under the Bylaws section): http://prrd.bc.ca/board/agendas/2018/2018-23-881821274/AGENDA.htmllast_img read more

Egypts Morsi from palace to prison

first_imgCairo – Mohammed Morsi, who was catapulted from the underground offices of the Muslim Brotherhood to Egypt’s presidency, faces trial on Monday for the killing of protesters, four months after his dramatic fall from power.Egypt’s first democratically elected president, he has been held incommunicado in military custody since the army overthrew him on 3 July after a stormy one-year rule.Remaining defiant since his incarceration, the deposed leader has rejected the authority of the court to try him, as his supporters insist he is still the legitimate president of the Arab world’s most populous nation. Morsi, along with 14 others, face charges of inciting the murder of protesters during clashes between his supporters and opponents outside the presidential palace in December 2012, in which seven people were killed.The trial comes on the heels of a bloody crackdown by Egypt’s military-installed authorities against Morsi’s Islamist supporters.Hundreds were killed in clashes that erupted when security forces dispersed two pro-Morsi camps in August and at least 2 000 people, including the Muslim Brotherhood’s top leadership, have been rounded up in the clampdown.No stranger to prison, Morsi lived a largely clandestine existence through three decades of authoritarian rule by his ousted predecessor, Hosni Mubarak, when the Brotherhood was officially banned.Crippling economic crisisHe was arrested most recently on 28 January 2011, the day after the Brotherhood threw its weight behind the protests against Mubarak.He was then among dozens of Islamist prisoners sprung from jails around the country during the collapse of public order that accompanied the anti-Mubarak revolution.He had already served seven months in 2006 for taking part in a demonstration in support of reformist judges.Morsi was not the Brotherhood’s first choice for president.He was put forward after one of the movement’s powerful financiers, Khairat al-Shater, was disqualified on technical grounds, earning him the nickname “the spare wheel.”He won the presidential election by a sliver, with many choosing him in a protest vote against former air force chief and Mubarak prime minister Ahmed Shafiq.Morsi, whose predecessors as president have all been generals, failed to maintain Egyptians’ unity following the uprising. Critics accused him of putting too much power in the hands of the Brotherhood.His one-year rule was marred by deep polarisation, insecurity, unrest and a crippling economic crisis.President for all Egyptians In the last public remarks before his ouster he acknowledged “many mistakes” which needed “to be corrected” but insisted he was chosen in a “free and fair election”.His words fell on deaf ears.Millions took to the streets on 30 June in response to a grassroots campaign accusing him of breaking his promise to be a “president for all Egyptians” and of failing the ideals of the 2011 revolution.From a rapturous reception given by adoring crowds in Cairo’s Tahrir Square when he was feted as a revolutionary champion in 2012, Morsi came to be disliked by millions.During his presidency, Morsi was put in an uncomfortable position, with recordings emerging of remarks he had made during his days underground that his critics judged as anti-Semitic.Morsi was born in the village of El-Adwah in the Nile Delta province of Sharqiya in 1951, and had been the spokesperson of the Brotherhood from 2010.He graduated with an engineering degree from Cairo University in 1975 and received a doctorate from the University of Southern California, where he was also an assistant professor in 1982.Married with five children and three grandchildren, Morsi first entered the political arena in 2000 when he was elected to parliament as an independent, given the Mubarak-era ban on the Brotherhood.last_img read more

House of Representatives Ends Session on Wednesday

first_imgRabat – The House of Representatives ended on Wednesday the autumn session of the 2013-2014 legislative year.At the closing plenary session, speaker of the House of Representatives Karim Ghellab said the session was marked by two major events. The first was the opening of the session by King Mohammed VI and the speech by the Sovereign to the members of both Houses of Parliament.“This speech was the main reference for our parliamentary action, especially since it was a roadmap for the implementation of the constitutional provisions and strengthening cooperation between legislative and executive powers in respect of the separation of powers,” said Ghellab. The second landmark relates to the commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the creation of Parliament, an event that was marked by the royal message to the members of both houses of parliament and in which new horizons have been defined for the promotion of parliamentary practice and capitalizing on the successful experiences in the field, said Ghellab.last_img read more

Guardiola admits selection headache

first_imgPep Guardiola opened up on his selection dilemma as they maintain their quadruple chase following their victory over Wolves.Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero were left on the bench for Monday’s 3-0 defeat of Wolves at the Etihad Stadium, moving City within four points of leaders Liverpool.And Guardiola accepts he has to make difficult decisions over his team selection on a game-by-game basis.“I have an incredible squad, so if Kevin plays like he deserves to play, maybe [Ilkay] Gundogan doesn’t play – he made maybe six or seven assists in the last two games. He didn’t play today – and both deserve to play,” Guardiola told a news conference and cited via FourFourTwo.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“But Bernardo [Silva] also deserves to play, what he has done so far, and Fernandinho what he has done against Liverpool. So that’s where he is and we’ve spoken about that. Today one of my favourite players, Phil [Foden], he was in the tribune.“But there is a lot of games and everybody is going to play. Maybe the next game, new players are going to come in. So they have to be ready, and not only that they have to play good in all the details. Because if they don’t, another one is going to play.“After that, I make a mistake, of course, I am unfair for many, many players and I know that. But today I decided for that and for the fresh players – like Aymeric [Laporte], John [Stones], Bernardo, Fernandinho – so it is what it is.”last_img read more