‘A BIG CHALLENGE’ Solve slay cases, new ICPO director told

first_imgMeanwhile, the four cases thathappened during the term of Defensor’s predecessor, Biñas, and still unsolvedwere the following: But not just payola from illegalgambling, according to the police director. Policemen must refrain from takingbribe money from whatever illegal activities. * May 21, 2019 – Tristan ZacharyEribal, 19, of Barangay Caingin, La Paz district was shot and stabbed inBarangay Balabago, Jaro “I’m satisfied of theperformance of the former city police director. I hope you do better,”said Pamuspusan. In a telephone interview prior toyesterday’s ICPO turnover of command, Dampal told Panay News his three main thrusts were the campaign against illegaldrugs and illegal gambling, and ICPO internal cleansing. Police Colonel Eric Dampal. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN * June 8,2019 – Allan Salario, 51, of Barangay Calmay, Janiuay, Iloilo died ofgunshot wounds on the head and back at Metropolis Subdivision in BarangayTagbak, Jaro A “big challenge” was how Dampaldescribed this task right after yesterday’s turnover ceremony at the ICPOheadquarters on General Luna Street. In a previous interview, Defensoracknowledged the ICPO’s failure to solve murder cases. His men were having ahard time, he said. Pamuspusan said Dampal had “big shoesto fill”. * July 13, 2018 – Ranny Bibanco, 33,of Trance Street, Barangay 2, Tigbauan, Iloilo was shot at the Iloilo TerminalMarket “I’m so particular on internalcleansing, especially the tamang bihis(correct wearing of uniform). It’s nice to see our personnel wearing clean andnew uniforms,” said Dampal./PN * Jan. 19, 2020 – Delfin Britanico ofBarangay Nabitasa, La Paz was shot to death Police Brigadier General RenePamuspusan, Western Visayas police director, specifically mentioned the stillunsolved killing in Barangay Nabitasan, La Paz district of young businessmanDelfin Britanico, son of former assemblyman Salvador “Buddy” Britanico, justthis Jan. 19. There were “so many things to do”, hesaid, but with “the help of the men and women of ICPO and the community” hewould be “fine.” Just last week Pamuspusan warnedpolicemen against accepting payola or protection money from illegal gamblingoperators. Administrative charges would be filed,according to Pamuspusan, which could lead to an erring policeman’s dismissalfrom the service. “You have to solve the Britanicocase. I want you to use all your resources. I will help you,” Pamuspusan toldDampal yesterday. Dampal welcomed the reminders. “Policemen who violate this ‘no take’policy will be facing dire consequences,” he said. * May 21, 2019 – Jimrod Eribal, 22, ofBarangay San Isidro, Jaro was shot and stabbed in Barangay Balabago, Jaro * Nov. 19, 2018 – Retired SeniorPolice Officer II Rolando Alag was shot in Barangay Villa Anita, City Proper whiledriving his van “Gagawinnatin ang lahat para maging mabuti ang ang ating pamamahala sa ICPO. I have to study all unsolved cases,” said Dampal, formerdirector of the Compostela Valley Police Provincial Office who also had a stintat the Police Regional Office 11 or Davao Region. UNSOLVEDCASES The unsolved slays under Defensor’swatch were the following: “I want you to take these seriously,”said Pamuspusan. * Nov. 7, 2018 – Marvin Vasquez, 34,of Zone 3, Barangay Bakhaw, Mandurriao was shot in Barangay Taft North,Mandurriao For starters, Dampal said, he would beintensifying police visibility for crime deterrence. * Nov. 24, 2018 – Nestor Piagola Jr.,33, of Barangay Zamora-Melliza, Iloilo City was shot on Rima-Rizal Street, CityProper ILOILO City – Can the new Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO)director, Police Colonel Eric Dampal, achieve what his predecessor, PoliceColonel Martin Defensor, failed to do – solve and/or prevent killings mostlyinvolving riding-in-tandem assassins? Four other slay cases that happenedjust before Defensor became the ICPO director also remain unsolved up to today.The ICPO director then was Police Colonel Henry Biñas, now the director of theBacolod City Police Office. The order to solve the Britanico slaycase came from Malacañang. Former assemblyman Britanico sought the help ofPresident Rodrigo Duterte who in turn ordered the Philippine National Policeand National Bureau of Investigation to act. CHANGE OF COMMAND. Police Colonel Eric Dampal (left) formally takes over as director of the Iloilo City Police Office during a change of command presided by Police Brigadier General Rene Pamuspusan (right), Western Visayas police director, on Feb. 20, 2020. Looking on (partly hidden) is Dampal’s predecessor, Police Colonel Martin Defensor, now the chief of the Directorial Staff, Police Regional Office 6. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN * March 2, 2019 – Lhuil Clemente, 40,of Barangay East Baluarte, Molo district was shot on Mabini Street, City Proper * Jan. 19, 2020 – Alain Muller, 42, ofBarangay Cuartero, Jaro was shot outside his house “We have to deploy more policemen tothe field,” he said. He appealed for public help. “All the assassins covered their facesto hide their identities. Also, no witnesses have surfaced,” said Defensor. * Sept. 7, 2018 – Don Azucena, 39, ofBarangay Calumpang, Molo was shot outside his house “I take the challenge of ourregional director,” said Dampal, 54, a native of Bukidnon and member ofthe Philippine National Police Academy – Class 1992. * Oct. 5, 2018 – Neil Resma, 38, ofBarangay Bakhaw, Mandurriao district was shot in Barangay Calubihan, Jarodistrict * Sept. 7, 2018 – Rolando Puda, 41, ofBarangay Ingore, La Paz district was shot near his house * Sept. 11, 2018 – Gerardo Mamarion,25, of Barangay Tacas, Jaro was shot in Zone 4, Barangay Ungka, Jaro When Dampal’s predecessor Defensortook over the ICPO directorship on Sept. 12, 2018 he vowed to solve killingsinvolving riding-in-tandem assassins and prevent more of such incidents fromhappening. But just six months into his directorship, five such incidents tookplace, and several more happened in succeeding months including Britanico’s –and all remained unsolved as of yesterday, Feb. 20, when Defensor left the citypolice office. Pamuspusan also reminded Dampal toenforce “what the PNP chief, General Archie Francisco Gamboa, wanted to do –the ‘no take policy’ and discipline of policemen.”last_img read more

Promoter: Adonis Stevenson in stable condition after KO

first_imgLights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Stevenson dropped to 29-2-1 with his first loss since 2010 and first in Canada. The 31-year-old Gvozdyk, from the Ukraine, improved to 16-0.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kuzma, James lead Lakers rout of Suns for 3rd straight win Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Ring doctor Marc Gagne, left, checks on Adonis Stevenson, of Canada, after he was knocked out by Oleksandr Gvozdyk, of Ukraine, in their light heavyweight WBC championship boxing fight, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018, in Quebec City. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)QUEBEC CITY — Canadian boxer Adonis Stevenson has been upgraded from critical to stable condition and remains in an induced coma Sunday after being knocked out Saturday night in his light heavyweight title fight.Boxing promoter Yvon Michel tweeted about the 41-year-old Stevenson’s condition.ADVERTISEMENT After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California collegecenter_img Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom “The state of Adonis has gone from critical towards stable from yesterday to today which is a relatively good news. He is in controlled sedation to facilitate his recuperation.” Michel said. “His family, his wife Simone and Groupe Yvon Michel would like to thank the many people who have taken the time to send comforting messages. New information will be published as we get it. No other comments will be made until then.”Oleksandr Gvozdyk stopped Stevenson at 2:49 of the 11th round Saturday night to take the Canadians’ World Boxing Council light heavyweight title.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissREAD: Gvozdyk stops Stevenson in 11th roundThe Montreal-based Stevenson was put on a stretcher after the bout and left Videotron Centre in an ambulance. He was making his 10th title defense since winning the belt against Chad Dawson in 2013 and was ahead on two of the judges’ cards and tied on the third when he was stopped. MOST READ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titlelast_img read more

‘I don’t have to tell you!’ – Jose Mourinho refuses to discuss Chelsea future

first_imgJose Mourinho refused to comment on whether he has received reassurances from Chelsea’s board and owner Roman Abramovich over his future as manager.Mourinho was subject of the first managerial vote of confidence of Abramovich’s 12-year ownership on October 5, and Chelsea have won just one of four matches since ahead of Saturday’s clash with Liverpool.WILL JOSE MOURINHO’S CHELSEA CONTINUE TO BE THE SCOURGE OF LIVERPOOL?Chelsea, the defending Barclays Premier League champions, enter this weekend’s fixtures 15th in the table after losing half of their 10 games, including last Saturday at West Ham, while their Capital One Cup defence ended at Stoke on Tuesday.Asked whether he had been given assurances over his position, Mourinho, who in August signed a four-year contract extension until June 2019, said: “I don’t have to tell you.”JURGEN KLOPP: CHELSEA MANAGER JOSE MOURINHO ‘IS A NICE GUY…UNLESS YOU’RE A JOURNALIST OR A REFEREE!’Abramovich has previously axed managers when Chelsea’s place in the Premier League’s top four and qualification for the Champions League the following season had been in doubt.Asked if he can guarantee Chelsea a place in Europe’s elite competition next term, Mourinho said: “I cannot promise.”He then pointed to the failure of Manchester United and Liverpool to qualify for the Champions League in recent seasons.Mourinho added: “Chelsea is a big club. It’s the club that I choose to come (to). It’s a club I live in a very specific way every day.“Liverpool is a big club, Man United is a super big club. Last season Liverpool win nothing and didn’t qualify for the Champions League.“Two years ago Man United didn’t qualify for the Champions League – not even Europa League – and won nothing.“They are still a monster club, but that’s football.”Mourinho declined to comment on two disciplinary matters hanging over him.The 52-year-old Portuguese had until Thursday at 6pm to respond to a misconduct charge relating to his half-time dismissal by referee Jonathan Moss at West Ham.Mourinho expects his appeal against a £50,000 fine and suspended one-match stadium ban for comments made about referee Robert Madley following the October 3 loss to Southampton to be heard on Friday.“I think so,” he said. “Not optimistic, not pessimistic – just wait.” Jose Mourinho 1last_img read more

GAA: DONEGAL DRAW FERMANAGH, MONAGHAN AND ST MARY’S IN DR McKENNA CUP

first_imgAll- Ireland champions Donegal will face Fermanagh, Monaghan and St Mary’s in Group A of next year’s Dr McKenna Cup series.Group B has drawn Armagh, Cavan, Down and Queen’s to contest the provincial title.Cup holders, Tyrone have been placed in group C with beaten finalists Derry, University of Ulster Jordanstown and Antrim. The Ulster Under-21 teams were drawn on Thursday also.Armagh will take on Fermanagh in the first round at Brewster Park to decide who will travel to Down.Tyrone play Donegal, Antrim face Derry and Cavan are in action against Monaghan.Dates, venues and times are still to confirmed for both draws. Dr McKenna Cup:Group A: St Mary’s, Fermanagh, Donegal, MonaghanGroup B: Queen’s, Armagh, Cavan, DownGroup C: Jordanstown, Tyrone, Derry, AntrimUlster Under-21 draw:Preliminary round: Fermanagh v ArmaghFirst round: Tyrone v Donegal; Antrim v Derry; Cavan v Monaghan; Down v Fermanagh or Armagh.GAA: DONEGAL DRAW FERMANAGH, MONAGHAN AND ST MARY’S IN DR McKENNA CUP was last modified: October 13th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: DONEGAL DRAW FERMANAGHMONAGHAN AND ST MARY’S IN DR McKENNA CUPlast_img read more