SADNESS AS COLEMAN FAILS TO MAKE EURO SQUAD – BUT HE IS ON STANDBY

first_imgThere has been mixed emotion for Donegal soccer star Seamus Coleman following the announcement of the Irish soccer squad for this summer’s European Championships.The Killbegs man has not been named in Giovanni Trapatonni’s 23 panel for the tournament.However he has been named as one of five ‘stand-bys’ in case of the squad are forced to pull out. As expected both Shay Given and Aidan McGeady have been named in the panel.James McCarthy, another player with strong Donegal connections, will not travel to the tournament.The players is unavailable after it was revealed that his father is undergoing treatment for cancer.James, whose grandfather was from Gaoth Dobhair, grew up in a strong Donegal-connected community in Glasgow. The Wigan Athletic player is one of the most exciting players in the English Premier League.Trap commented on James McCarthy’s exclusion: “Last week he called me and he told me what is happening with his family. I said ‘I am very sorry’ but he has decided to remain at home.”Trap said: “It has not been easy choosing 23 players because we have many other very good players who deserve to be here. I have said already James McCarthy for example. I have spoken with all the players on the standby list and those who are not taking part in the campaign.”James McCarthy spoke of his pride in his family connections in a statement later.He said: “I have made the very difficult decision to withdraw my name from selection from the Euro 2012 squad following the diagnosis of my father with cancer and an ongoing requirement for treatment. “I have discussed this with the manager. He was very understanding and I thank him sincerely for that.“I take this opportunity to re-affirm my complete commitment to playing for the Republic of Ireland.“It is a huge honour and source of great pride for me and my family.“Despite not being present, I would like to wish the mannager and my team-mates every success at the tournament and hope that Irish fans can understand the reason for my decision at this difficult time.” Former Derry City star James McClean of Sunderland said: “Absolutley honoured and could not be happier to have been call up to represnt my country at the European Championships. No better feeling.”The full squad is: Given, Westwood, Forde, Dunne, O’Shea, St.Ledger, O’Dea, Ward, Kelly, Foley, Whelan, Gibson, Andrews, Fahey, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, McClean, Keane, Doyle, Cox, Long, Walters.Standby: Randolph, McShane, Green, Coleman, KeoghSADNESS AS COLEMAN FAILS TO MAKE EURO SQUAD – BUT HE IS ON STANDBY was last modified: May 7th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

GARDAÍ ISSUE WARNING AFTER STRANGER MAKES SUSPICIOUS APPROACH TO CHILDREN

first_imgDONEGAL Gardaí are appealing for information after two incidents in which a suspected pervert approached children in the county.Both incidents took place in Inishowen earlier this week and whilst Gardaí say they don’t want to create any undue alarm, they do want public help in their investigation.The first incident took place between 3.30pm and 5pm on Monday in Bridgend. Gardaí say a man in a small, silver or grey car is reported to have approached children in the border village.Around 7pm a man in the same car or similar car made an approach to children in Mulberry Avenue in Buncrana.It’s understood the children in both cases were primary school children.Anyone with information on these incidents or other incidents should call Buncrana Garda Station on 074 932 0540 or on the Garda Confidential Line, 1800666111. GARDAÍ ISSUE WARNING AFTER STRANGER MAKES SUSPICIOUS APPROACH TO CHILDREN was last modified: October 3rd, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:alertbridgendbuncranachildrenGardailast_img read more