Finn Harps will be looking to close the five point gap between themselves and Wexford Youths when the two sides meet at Finn Park on Friday evening (kick-off 8.00pm).Wexford were the last side to score against Harps from open play (it was actually and own goal from Ciaran Coll) – that coming in the 2-2 in Wexford at the end of May.Since then, Harps have conceded just twice in seven games – those goals coming from a Glen O’Connor free-kick for Longford Town and Gareth Coughlan’s penalty for Shelbourne last weekend. Last Friday’s 1-1 draw at Tolka Park brought Harps’ unbeaten run to five games, and they now have tasted defeat just once in ten outings. Indeed, it could have been so much more against Shels only for a Carol Tiofack goal to be ruled out by substitute referee Paula Brady.“A draw was probably a fair result but we had a perfectly good winning goal disallowed with 10 minutes left for an infringement that I still can’t find on the video,” said Harps boss Ollie Horgan as he reflected on the game.“That last 15 minutes of the game was end-to-end with both sides trying to win it, some of our defending was last ditch stuff but brave and disciplined.“Defensively we have been strong although we coughed up too many chances to Shelbourne,” continued Horgan. “They doubled up in wide areas and had pace and ability about them. I was disappointed with the concession of the penalty but our goal from Sean McCarron was of some ability also.” Despite the good away point, Horgan was well aware that his side had still lost ground on those above them, including Friday’s visitors to Finn Park.“It was a good result in Dublin on Friday but despite this we still lost ground with Galway and Wexford both winning,” he said.Friday’s game will be the first of at least two meetings between the sides this month after the clubs were paired together in last week’s FAI Cup third round draw. That game takes place towards the end of the month and Horgan said it was far from an ideal draw from his sides point of view.“The Cup draw was probably one of the least appealing ties we could have got,” said Horgan. “The journey, the financial side of it and the quality that Wexford offer makes it a difficult task in many ways, but we will get on with it as we have done all season.”Friday’s game gives Horgan and Harps a chance to bridge the gap between the two sides. Wexford sit immediately above Harps on the table in fourth spot with a five point advantage. Both sides remain on the fringes of a play-off spot and nothing less than a victory will do for Harps on Friday. However, Horgan has urged caution against a team that he feels come to Finn Park in fine form. “We will be seeing a lot of Shane Keegan and his Wexford team in the next few months. They are pushing for promotion and deservedly so.“This Wexford side is the best Wexford side I have seen. They have added more quality to the side recently with Andy Mulligan signing from Bohemians added to the attacking qualities of Danny Furlong and Aiden Keenan.“They are very well organised with the likes of Eric Molloy and Shane Dunne driving them from the middle of the field,” he said.The previous two meetings between the sides this season have finished in draws – 1-1 at Finn Park last April and 2-2 at Ferrycarrig Park the following month. Michael Funston, Keith Cowan and Caoimhin Bonner all return from suspension to give Horgan a full panel to choose from for quite some time.FULL-STRENGTH HARPS HOPING TO BRIDGE GAP ON WEXFORD YOUTHS was last modified: July 31st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:finn harpsFinn Parkwexford youths
19 October 2009President Jacob Zuma has appointed human rights lawyer Advocate Thulisile Madonsela as South Africa’s new Public Protector. Madonsela replaces Advocate Lawrence Mushwana, who left the position on Friday after serving out his non-renewable seven-year term.Madonsela was recommended for the position by a special parliamentary committee following a week of candidate interviews.The Public Protector is an independent institution established in terms of Chapter 9 of the country’s Constitution to strengthen democracy by investigating alleged improper conduct by state agencies or officials.‘Important responsibility’Zuma said Madonsela was taking on an important responsibility. “She will need to ensure that this office continues to be accessible to ordinary citizens and undertakes its work without fear or favour.”An advocate with extensive experience in constitutional, human rights and equality law, Madonsela was most recently a full-time member of the South African Law Reform Commission.As a member of a judicial transformation task team, Madonsela helped draft bills and a strategic plan for transforming the country’s justice system and state legal services as well as the Victims’ Charter and gender and employment equity policy.Zuma thanked Mushwana for the excellent service he had given to the country.Source: BuaNews
24 February 2010South Africa has successfully delivered close to 150 major sporting events, including the 2009 Fifa Confederations Cup and 2009 Indian Premier League, without incident. The 2010 Fifa World Cup™ is a much bigger affair – and the South African Police Service has “raised its game” accordingly.“We are working tirelessly to ensure this is one of the best tournaments that Fifa has hosted,” says SAPS spokesman Vishnu Naidoo. “We want people to come and enjoy themselves, secure in the knowledge that we will do the policing.”R665m on new equipmentThe SAPS has now taken delivery of R665-million worth of new equipment. This includes six new helicopters, 10 mobile command vehicles, 100 high-performance vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles, body armour and water cannons.Besides the investment in equipment, the SAPS has also recruited 55 000 new police officers over the last five years. This force will be complemented with an additional 41 000 officers who have gained invaluable experience in handling major sports tournaments.These security forces will be charged with border control, route security, city security, stadium security and crowd management during the tournament.“We have managed to allocate more than the required capacity for the tournament,” says Naidoo. “So there is going to be high visibility of police officers during 2010.”Specialist unitsFor the tournament, South Africa has trained a number of highly specialised units that will focus on reacting to situations as they arise. The Public Order Police will manage crowd control and any threat of organised fighting or hooliganism.These 8 500 officers completed a year-long training programme with the French National Gendarmerie in November 2009. Experts in crowd management, the Gendarmerie gained substantial experience in the 1998 Fifa World Cup in France.Another highly trained unit, the Tactical Response Team, has been developed to deal with more serious complaints. “The goal was to have these teams in all the major cities, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban, by the end of December, but we have already gone beyond this target,” says Naidoo.The security forces for the 2010 Fifa World Cup have been involved in simulation exercises used to prepare officers for any eventuality, ranging from chemical, biological and radioactive attacks to hijackings, hostage situations and major disasters, both natural and unnatural.Intelligence, global connectionsIn addition to South Africa’s increased security, Interpol has pledged its commitment to support the country during the tournament. The international police organisation will be establishing an office in South Africa, offering support in movement control and the authenticating of passports.Interpol has also developed a Dangerous and Disruptive Persons (DDP) database for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. This database can be used to identify people who are involved in any form of organised crime or organised fighting. Once a person is recorded on this database, they will not be allowed into South Africa.“We have various proactive measures to stop identified criminals from entering our country,” says Naidoo. “We are in contact with our counterparts in World Cup participating countries, and then we have an intelligence community that is constantly gathering information. In order to get into South Africa, these people will have many obstacles to get through.”All of these initiatives form part of South Africa’s World Cup legacy programme, Naidoo adds. “Once these systems are in place, they will last long after the World Cup. We will keep using these relationships and equipment to ensure a safer region and a safer country. South Africans will benefit from us hosting the tournament long after July 2010.“Right now, our priority is to deliver a safe and secure tournament,” says Naidoo. “Overconfidence is tantamount to complacency, and we don’t want to be complacent.“We want people to come to South Africa and enjoy themselves, so we are going to be firm but friendly.”Source: 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa Organising Committee
Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups Kluber (17-4), who has lost once since July 4, allowed three singles in seven innings and has not given up a run in 22 straight.The right-hander set the tone on a day of celebration which began with the Indians standing together in front of their dugout to watch a flag rise beyond the center-field wall commemorating their latest division title.The Indians were going to have a good time — win or lose — but they didn’t want to disappoint another sellout crowd or fans captivated by their recent record 22-game winning streak.“When we come out here and it’s time to play, we want to win,” Kluber said. “Nobody in that clubhouse likes losing, so regardless of whether we clinched or not, we were going to come out and try to win the ballgame and here’s what we’re going to do from here on out.”Encarnacion homered in the fourth off Danny Duffy (8-9) as the Indians improved to 33-5 since Aug. 11 despite getting only three hits.The Royals closed to 3-2 in the eighth on a two-out, two-run single by Brandon Moss off Tyler Olson. Cody Allen finished the inning and then worked out of a two-on jam in the ninth for his 28th save.ADVERTISEMENT Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Parker’s layup completes Sparks sweep of Mercury; Finals rematch set “It was good. I didn’t touch a ball all day offensively or defensively,” said Kipnis, who struck out twice. “I had nothing, but it was fun. Obviously, I had some nerves.”As soon as Kipnis left the game, two balls were immediately hit to center.ANOTHER STREAKThe Indians have allowed four runs or less in 24 consecutive games, the longest such streak since the St. Louis Cardinals had a 25-game run in 1942-3.TRAINER’S ROOMRoyals: C Salvador Perez (pulled side muscle) and OF Lorenzo Cain (rest) sat out but are expected to return Tuesday for the series opener in Toronto.Indians: All-Star 2B Jose Ramirez (hamstring) was rested for the second day in a row as a precaution. … Team president Chris Antonetti said there is still no clarity on whether OF Michael Brantley will return this season. He’s been out since Aug. 9 with an ankle injury. … Rookie OF Bradley Zimmer (broken hand) is keeping up with his conditioning and maintaining his arm strength after surgery. Zimmer had a plate and nine screws inserted into his hand, which he broke on a headfirst dive into first.UP NEXTRoyals: Either RHP Ian Kennedy or Sam Gaviglio will start against the Blue Jays. Kennedy missed his last turn in the rotation with shoulder fatigue. Gaviglio has started twice since being claimed on waivers from Seattle.Indians: RHP Mike Clevinger will look for his 11th win on Tuesday in the opener of a three-game series in Los Angeles. He was drafted by the Angels in 2011 and traded to Cleveland in 2014. The Cleveland Indians celebrate winning the American League Central Division after defeating the Kansas City Royals 3-2 after a baseball game in Cleveland, Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. At right is manager Terry Francona. (AP Photo/Phil Long)CLEVELAND — There was champagne chilling on ice for them, bottles and bottles of bubbly and beer.But before the Cleveland Indians partied after winning a second straight AL Central title, there was work to be done to complete a week none of them will ever forget.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors As they left the field, the Indians were handed AL Central championship T-shirts, caps and swimming googles to put on before heading to their clubhouse. Moments later, champagne corks popped and the room was turned into a free-for-all of sudsy spray.Last year, the Indians celebrated their division, playoff and AL Championship Series wins on the road. Being at home made this one more special.“It never gets old,” said pitcher Josh Tomlin, who has been with the Indians since 2010. “This is why you play the game — to win. And to be able to celebrate victories like this or little milestones like this.”Kluber could be on his way to a second Cy Young Award win, following 2014′s. The right-hander is 10-1 in his last 10 starts.Despite missing nearly a month, he leads the league in wins (17), ERA (2.35), shutouts (3) and complete games (5).In the major statistical categories, Kluber trails only Boston’s Chris Sale, his closest competition for the pitching award, in strikeouts.“He’s a tough draw,” Royals manager Ned Yost said. “He’s a premier guy. The year he won the Cy Young is the way he looks now. He’s in the conversation again this year.”CENTER OF ATTENTIONJason Kipnis didn’t embarrass himself in the outfield. He didn’t do anything, really.The Indians’ two-time All-Star second baseman made his debut in center but didn’t have a chance. He had been on the disabled list since Aug. 6 with a hamstring injury. They could have taken the easy route and phoned it in.Not this team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“We want to win,” Corey Kluber said.Cleveland’s ace pushed to the front of the Cy Young race with another dominant start and Edwin Encarnacion hit a two-run homer as the Indians, who officially clinched the division crown a day earlier, kept on rolling with a 3-2 victory over the Kansas City Royals.
Mahesh is smitten and it shows! It’s ‘love all’ for Mahesh Bhupathi and Lara Dutta.Tennis star Mahesh Bhupathi has his eyes on fiance Lara Dutta at a felicitation for Leander Paes in Chennai on Sept 18, 2008.After months of speculation – and their denying it – the tennis star has finally confessed to his match being ‘fixed’ with the Bollywood beauty.On Sunday, Bhupathi announced his engagement with Dutta on the social networking site Twitter. “So, Lara Dutta and me ( sic) got engaged in NY ( New York) last week. It’s official now,” the tennis star, who is in Chennai for a Davis Cup playoff tie against Brazil, wrote on his page.Dutta and Bhupathi had reportedly gone to the US last month. While he was there for the US Open and Davis Cup matches, she had gone for a photo- shoot.Bhupathi had walked out of his six- year marriage to model Shweta Jaishankar in July this year. The two had been having “irreconcilable differences” for some time.They had even said they were separated for more than two years. But in an interview to Savvy magazine in June this year, Shweta had blamed Bhupathi for making his relationship with Dutta public even before their divorce had come through.Though rumours of an affair between the actress and Bhupathi had been on, they had stuck to the clichd “We- are-just- good- friends” line for a long time.But in February this year, they attended the 55th Filmfare Awards together, making it obvious that they were indeed a couple.advertisementBoth Bhupathi and Dutta have had their string of failed relationships in the past.While Bhupathi had a long affair with model Anupama Varma before marrying Shweta, Dutta was into a serious relationship with model Kelly Dorjee.Later, she left Dorjee for his best friend, actor and model Dino Morea. But that relationship also fizzled out soon enough.It was only after splitting with Morea that Dutta started going around with Bhupathi.
India vice-captain Rohit Sharma missed out the IPL match against Kings XI Punjab due to a leg injury but his Mumbai Indians team-mate Kieron Pollard said it was just a “precautionary measure” and he should be back in the next game.In an injury scare five days before the World Cup team selection, Rohit sat out of Mumbai Indians’ IPL match last night after sustaining a leg spasm during Tuesday’s training session. It was the first time that he had missed an IPL game in 11 seasons.”Obviously, Rohit is the captain of the team and it was only a precautionary measure for the team. He should be back in the next game,” stand-in skipper Pollard said after leading MI to a last-ball three-wicket win over KXIP.”I would gladly give it back to him and field at the boundary, while also thinking of what to contribute to the team.”Pollard smashed a whirlwind 83 off 31 balls that contained 10 sixes and three fours to take Mumbai on the doorsteps of victory and Hardik Pandya described the big-hitting West Indian as a legend.”Heart is pumping pretty fast. Pollard is a legend! One guy who could do this, it was Kieron Pollard.. That time and situation needed, both of us had to go for it but I could not connect much,” Pandya said.”Pollard was backing himself and for the first time in my life while sitting outside I thought 17 per over is a par score. It was still better from the situation we started off from. If Polly was there, he could have finished it off one ball and obviously we didn’t have any set batsman. Four runs, four balls I thought we got this game.”advertisementAfter Pollard was dismissed in the second ball of the last over, it was Alzarri Joseph (15 not out), who took MI home, chasing down Kings XI’s target of 198 off the last ball.Also Read | Pollard was unstoppable: KXIP batting coach Sriram in awe of MI stand-in captainAlso Read | IPL 2019: Kieron Pollard 83 trumps KL Rahul 100 as MI gun down 198 vs KXIPAlso Read | Major injury scare for India ahead of World Cup as Rohit Sharma limps off MI trainingAlso Watch | Great to have someone like Chris Gayle in KXIP: KL Rahul