Medford Man Pleads Not Guilty to Killing Mom With Ax

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Sean FarrellA 24-year-old Medford man who allegedly bludgeoned his mother to death with an ax last month admitted to the gruesome slaying in a tear-filled phone call with his grandmother, according to prosecutors and court documents.Sean Farrell pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and was ordered held without bail during his arraignment Friday at First District Court in Central Islip.His 45-year-old mother, Bonnie Farrell, was a nurse at Angela’s House, a nonprofit that assists children with special needs.Assistant District Attorney Raphael Pearl requested that Farrell be remanded to Suffolk County jail, arguing that Farrell is a flight risk because he allegedly fled the scene of the Dec. 9 murder and checked himself into Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan.The judge approved Farrell’s attorney’s request that Farrell be put on suicide watch because his client suffers from “some form of schizophrenia,” said his defense attorney, Daniel Russo.“Anytime you put a 24-year-old kid into the Riverhead Correctional Facility who’s never been there before, who is charged with a crime like this, it’s to err on the side of caution,” Russo told reporters outside the courtroom.About a dozen people, including Farrell’s stepfather, Eric Connelly, who called 911 after finding his wife’s dead body in their bedroom, gathered in the courtroom to witness the arraignment.It’s unclear if they were friends, family, or both. Farrell’s stepfather declined to comment afterward. The couple also have five other children.Prosecutors accused Farrell of “intentionally” striking his mother several times with an ax at their Norway Pine Drive home last month, according to court documents.Both prosecutors and Russo said Farrell admitted himself into Bellvue Hospital after the incident, though they did not say when or how long he was hospitalized.Farrell has no criminal record.Pearl told the judge that Farrell gave an admission to a family member after the alleged murder. Russo argued that the statements were “based on hearsay” and that authorities have not provided any evidence linking his client to the crime.The alleged admission was based on a Dec. 15 phone call to his 69-year-old grandmother that Farrell made from the hospital, according to the grandmother’s sworn statement to police.“He told me he killed his mom, my daughter and that he was selfish and should have killed himself,” Farrell’s grandmother told a Suffolk County police detective inside his parked car one day after the phone call.“Sean told me he was scared and confused,” she said, according to court documents. “He was crying and I told him to talk to his doctors who would help him.”The grandmother told police that her caller ID said the incoming call was placed from Bellevue Hospital. He also inquired about how his two brothers were handling their mother’s death, according to the sworn statement.“He was saying other things but he was crying and I could not understand him,” she said. “I began crying also and we hung up.”Russo characterized Farrell as “calm, scared” before the arraignment. He told reporters that he did not have information regarding Farrell’s relationship with his late mother.last_img read more

Ruby Spurlock

first_imgRuby Spurlock, 76, of Milan passed away Saturday, December 8, 2018 at Manderley Health Care Center in Osgood. Ruby was born Tuesday, April 28, 1942 in Knott County, Kentucky the daughter of Curt and Alta (Sloan) Short. She married Floyd Spurlock June 15, 1957 and he preceded her in death October 23, 2016. She was a homemaker, enjoyed cooking, singing, her flowers and raising her children and grandchildren.Ruby is survived by sons Curtis (Angie) Spurlock and Alex (Lisa) Spurlock both of Osgood, daughters Mary Dall of Versailles, Genevia (Mike) Hoagland of Madison, Gracie (Rich) McIntosh of Osgood, brother Carnell Short of Milan, sisters Arlene Mundinger of Florida, Lorraine Ernst of Richmond, Coriene Hammond of Milan, Racine Robinson of Milan, Ida Jane Bischoff of Milan, Linda Gunter of Milan and Marletta Green of Lawrenceburg, 14 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, daughter Leado Jane Lewis, 2 brothers and 3 sisters.A service celebrating her life will be held 10 AM Thursday, December 13 at Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home in Milan. Burial will follow at Little Memory Cemetery. Family and friends may gather to honor and remember Ruby 5 – 7 PM Wednesday, December 12 also at the funeral home. Memorials may be given in honor of Ruby to the American Cancer Society. Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, 707 S Main Street, P.O. Box 243, Milan, Indiana 47031 (812)654-2141. You may go to www.lawscarrmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.last_img read more

Harper lauds ‘white-ball batting’

first_img(CMC) – Convenor of selectors, Roger Harper, has hailed the improved batting of the white-ball unit as one of the positives for West Indies in recent months.The former Guyana and West Indies off-spinner said the return of “older, wiser heads” had also brought a new level of effectiveness to the bowling, especially at the death stages of the innings.“If you look for one thing that has been relatively consistent is the way the team has batted,” Harper told i95 FM here.“I think we’ve seen some consistency in the white-ball team both in the 50-over game and the T20 game and that of course is a plus.“We have identified that our bowling at times hasn’t been as sharp and smart as it needed to be but with the inclusion of some of the older, wiser heads – more experienced from a bowling perspective especially at the end of the innings – we’ve seen some improvement there as well.”“Just as we saw some gains, we have this break; so again we will have to regroup when this (coronavirus pandemic) is over and come again but I think generally we have seen some improvement, and it’s just a matter now of turning those improvements now in terms of performance into consistent positive results.”West Indies flopped spectacularly at last year’s 50-over World Cup in England, when they won just twice in nine outings to finish ninth of 10 teams and record their worst-ever performance at the showpiece.The performance prompted a shakeup in the white-ball team, with Jason Holder and Carlos Brathwaite being ditched as captain of the ODI and Twenty20 sides respectively and the previously exiled Kieron Pollard returning to take over as skipper.Since then, West Indies’ form has remained volatile, winning seven of 12 ODIs and just five of 11 Twenty20 Internationals.The Windies’ Test form has also seen inconsistency, winning three of their last six Tests inside the last 12 months.Harper, though, praised the victory over minnows Afghanistan last November, when the two teams met in the historic inaugural one-off Test in India.“We played one Test match and we managed to win that Test match and I think we shouldn’t underestimate that result,” he pointed out.“I know it was against Afghanistan but playing against Afghanistan in those conditions would not be easy and we must take some credit for that.”West Indies are preparing to defend their title at the T20 World Cup scheduled to be staged in Australia from October 18 to November 15.However, the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has halted all cricket globally and put in doubt the showpiece.last_img read more

Bush’s move remains irrelevant to USC

first_imgFormer USC star running back Reggie Bush beat the Heisman Trophy Trust to the punch Tuesday when he forfeited his 2005 Heisman Trophy. That same day, he released a statement peppered with public relations-friendly phrases.Fallen · Bush’s Heisman forfeiture makes him the first award winner to ever have the honor recinded. – Photo courtesy of USC Sports Information Bush talked about how winning the Heisman was “a dream come true” and gave credit for winning the award to his teammates, coaches, fans and family.What a good guy.But the thing that everyone had been waiting to hear was buried near the end of the statement: an admission of guilt.“I would like to begin the effort to turn a negative situation into a positive one by working with the Trustees to establish an educational program which will assist student-athletes and their families avoid the mistakes that I made,” Bush said in the statement.In the last five years, Bush has rarely spoken in public about the allegations concerning his dealings with two prospective sports agents during his time at USC. Even when the NCAA found Bush to have taken part in the wrongdoing, he only said that he was “disappointed by [the] decision” and “disagreed with the findings.”Finally, Bush got off his Heisman high horse and admitted to his mistakes. It confirmed what we all already knew. We just wanted to hear it from him.After watching the Trojans limp through their first two victories because of the fallout from Bush’s actions, many fans have expressed the desire to see Bush tangibly punished. Over the last week, everyone has had an opinion about what should happen to Bush’s Heisman Trophy.Bush chose to go with self-flagellation.If Bush had manned up to his transgressions earlier, there might have been some honor in his forfeiture. But at this point, when he was probably just a Trustees’ meeting away from losing the trophy anyway, I can’t commend Bush for his actions.Bush (or his P.R. people, at least) clearly made this move to try to help his injured image. Unfortunately for him, it’s too late.Essentially, Bush has been blacklisted and removed from USC football history as if he never existed, à la George Orwell’s government in 1984. USC fans also want to pretend that he never existed because they have already lost so much at his expense. Glancing around the Coliseum during Saturday’s home opener, you would have been hard-pressed to find a single No. 5 jersey among the crowd.So does Bush’s veiled admission of guilt help his image at all? Not a lick. For those that called Bush a cheater, this just confirms that sentiment.But let’s set the record straight: Bush did not cheat the same way Barry Bonds did. He was the best college football player in 2005 and thus deserved to win that trophy.The fact that he received improper benefits, however, reverses that. If USC has to pay in very real ways — scholarship reductions, postseason bans — then so should Bush.Whether Bush chose to give the Heisman Trophy back or was stripped of it is irrelevant. USC made up its mind about Bush’s legacy when it chose to send his replica Heisman back. So did his fans when they chose to leave his jersey at home.The question now turns to what happens to the Heisman Trophy itself.The Trust has not said whether there will be no winner for that year or if the runner-up, Vince Young, will receive the award. (Although Young has already stated he would accept the award if it were offered to him.)But does it really matter? Bush has already been embarrassed enough. He is the first winner of the Heisman to return the trophy and he is no longer welcome at the school he brought so much money and so many accolades to.Bush will be out of luck if he’s looking for sympathy. Compared to what his university is going through, he’s getting off easy.At the very least, USC can now move on with the reassurance that the man already known to be guilty has finally come to grips with it himself.“Middle Ground” usually runs Tuesdays. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or e-mail Josh at [email protected]last_img read more