Connecticut joins no-more-coal coalition FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Hartford Courant:Connecticut will join an international coalition dedicated to ending reliance on traditional coal-fired power plants, Gov. Daniel P. Malloy announced at a San Francisco conference Thursday.The only remaining coal-burning power plant in Connecticut is the Bridgeport Harbor Station. That plant is already scheduled to be shut down by 2021 and be replaced with a new, less-polluting natural gas facility. But Malloy said joining other U.S. states and businesses on the “Powering Past Coal Alliance,” includes a commitment by Connecticut not to allow construction of any new coal-powered plants.“Climate change is the most significant global threat in our lifetime,” Malloy said in a statement issued at a meeting of the U.S. Climate Alliance. “We have seen its impacts firsthand this summer from wildfires in California to the powerful Hurricane Florence on the East Coast.”The Bridgeport Harbor Station plant is one of the last coal-fired generating facilities in New England. The massive plant has been a major target for environmental and minority community activists. The plant is owned by PSEG Power Connecticut LLC, a subsidiary of one of the largest electricity producers in the U.S.The natural gas replacement for the Bridgeport Harbor Station plant is expected to be in operation next year. Plans call for it to be capable of producing 485 megawatts of electricity, according to company officials.More: Connecticut joining anti-coal climate coalition
Related News Panthers superfan Greg ‘Catman’ Good dies Tannehill, who will turn 31 on July 27, had been Miami’s starter when healthy since 2012, when the Dolphins drafted him eighth overall. He completed 64.2 percent of his passes for 1,979 yards with 17 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 11 games last season.As for Mariota, he threw for 2,528 yards with 11 scores and eight picks in 14 games in 2018. He’s been limited by injuries, though, as the 25-year-old is 27-28 as the starter and has yet to play all 16 games in a season since being selected second overall in 2015. Frank Gore isn’t retiring yet: ‘If I feel I can’t do it no more, then I call it’ Raiders 1st-round pick Josh Jacobs could hold out, miss training camp, report says The starting job in Tennessee is Marcus Mariota’s to lose.Despite trading for Ryan Tannehill earlier this offseason, Titans coach Mike Vrabel recently reiterated the veteran quarterback won’t be competing for the starting job when training camp opens as he role has already been determined. “His job as a backup — everybody’s job as a backup — is to push the guy in front of him,” Vrabel said, via United Press International . “To compete and try to make yourself better and try to make the team better and see how everybody responds.”The Titans acquired Tannehill from the Dolphins in May in a deal that also net the team a 2019 sixth-round pick, with Miami receiving a 2019 seventh-round pick and a fourth-round selection in 2020.
Sweden has remained more or less open throughout the coronavirus crisis preserving its economy. By doing next to nothing, Sweden is close to reaching “herd immunity.” Herd immunity occurs when a large percentage of a population gets infected, recovers, and subsequently becomes immune to further infection.Mr Tegnell, the head of Sweden’s Public Health Agency, declares that cases in the capital have plateaued, and that the effects of herd immunity were already apparent.“In a few weeks’ time we might reach herd immunity and we believe that is why we’re seeing a slow decline in cases, in spite of [testing for coronavirus] more and more,” according to Tegnell.And while it’s a bit early to tell, it could be paying off. Mr Tegnell has said that the capital Stockholm, the country’s outbreak epicentre, “might” reach herd immunity in May.In Swededn people are encouraged work at home, nursing homes are not accepting visitors, and universities have moved to online learning.But, people are not stuck at home. Bars, restaurants and gyms have been able to continue operating, provided they follow Sweden’s relatively less strict physical-distancing measures, and schools have also kept their doors open.“Locking people up at home won’t work in the longer term,” Sweden’s chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told reporters earlier this month.“Sooner or later people are going to go out anyway.”But officials are warning this doesn’t mean a potentially early end to the pandemic for Sweden, and the country’s approach is not without its critics at home and abroad.Sweden has had 16,755 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 2,021 deaths: neighbouring Norway and Denmark, which have taken more stringent approaches, have just a fraction of those numbers.Sweden’s strategy to keep large parts of society open is widely backed by the public. It has been devised by scientists and backed by government, and yet not all the country’s virologists are convinced.Very little has shut down in Sweden, but data suggests the vast majority of the population have taken to voluntary social distancing, which is the crux of Sweden’s strategy to slow the spread of the virus.Usage of public transport has dropped significantly, large numbers are working from home, and most refrained from travelling over the Easter weekend. The government has also banned gatherings of more than 50 people and visits to elderly care homes.Around 9 in 10 Swedes say they keep at least a metre away from people at least some of the time, up from seven in 10 a month ago, according to a major survey by polling firm Novus.The Swedish Public Health Agency applauds the way people have responded to the virus without the government mandating anything.The scientists’ approach has led to weeks of global debate over whether Sweden has adopted a sensible and sustainable plan, or unwittingly plunged its population into an experiment that is causing unnecessary fatalities, and could fail to keep the spread of Covid-19 under control.By contrast, in the United States some local governments have adopted draconian policies opposite of Sweden.Residents in Riverside County, California, are now required to wear face coverings and could face a fine of $1,000 per violation per day if the mandate, which went into effect Sunday, is ignored.Recent data from the Riverside University Health System indicated 946 confirmed positive cases of coronavirus within the county with 25 deaths attributable to the illness.“While more and more Riverside County residents are getting COVID-19, not everybody’s getting the message,” said Riverside County public health officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser in a statement Saturday. “It started with staying home, social distance and covering your face. But now we change from saying that you should to saying that you must.”
OAKLAND – Despite remaining sidelined for the past month with a strained right calf, Kevin Durant is still expected to return at some point in the NBA Finals against the Toronto Raptors. But when?“We’re hoping he can play in Game 5 or 6,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said. “Everything in between, I’m not sharing because it has gone haywire. There is so much going on it doesn’t make sense to talk about it. Hes either going to play or he’s not. So tonight he’s not playing.”Durant will miss Game …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Ohio State University Extension is seeking additional farmers in the Maumee River Basin to help with a water monitoring research project looking at Dissolved Reactive Phosphorus losses from fields. Increases in DRP in the watershed have been tied to increased occurrences of Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Erie. The data collect will help better quantify actual losses from an economic and environmental standpoint, lead to tools that can target high risk fields so cost effective Best Management practices can be designed that maintain crop productivity while reducing phosphorus losses.This project gives a farmer the chance to find out how much Dissolved Reactive Phosphorus (DRP) in pounds per acre is leaving their field site, based on their crop production system. Farmers will be provided their individual data plus summary data for all sites in the project. The data will be used to understand what conditions lead to DRP loss and what recommend Best Management Practices (BMP’s) can be used to reduce nutrient loss.A plastic water sampling disk is placed at the end of field tile or within drainage water management structures during two periods of the year, September to December and March to June. The sample devices are changed out every 4-5 weeks during each sample period. A standard soil test analysis will be provided as well. There is no cost to the farmer for the water or soil sampling.The primary field selection recommendation is that drainage water sampled should only include water from the farm practices being done by the cooperating farmer. Shared field mains that include multiple farmer managements, road drainage, household water drainage or other areas not under control of the farmer should not be used. The field main should drain 5 or more acres. There is no upper limit to field size as long as the drainage area is known and the field area drained is under the control of the cooperating farmer. The end of the field main tile or a drainage control structure on the main tile should be accessible for deploying samplers.Field Management information by date for tillage, fertilizer applications and crop cover planting that occur in the 3 months prior to sampling through when the last sampler is pulled out will be collected. This data is extremely valuable to understand how practices influence the water quality results.More details on the sampling project as well as a signup link can be found at http://go.osu.edu/farmerwaterproject or contact Lee Richter, Program Coordinator, Water Monitoring Project, [email protected] or Greg LaBarge [email protected] Please signup by March 10 to participate in the second sampling period.For farmers who participated in the September to December, 2015 sampling. Samplers from this period are currently at the lab and we expect results back in the next 6-8 weeks. You do not need to sign fields that were used in 2015 up for this 2016 sampling. If you would like to add a field please give Lee a call or send her an e-mail.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association kicked off a media and advertising campaign that will shine a spotlight on how various federal tax provisions impact America’s cattle and beef producers. The campaign, which will focus heavily on the death tax, aims to build support in Washington for comprehensive tax reform that makes our tax code fair for agricultural producers. The campaign will be centered around a new website, CattlemenForTaxReform.com, and will run through September.“We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to enact truly comprehensive tax reform, and we can’t afford to let this opportunity pass or to get it wrong,” said Craig Uden, NCBA President and Nebraska cattleman. “Family ranchers and farmers deserve a full and permanent repeal of the onerous death tax, which charges them in cash on the often-inflated appraised value of their property and equipment. This campaign will shine a spotlight on the stories of real ranchers who have had to deal with this issue, and it will also highlight current tax provisions that we need to maintain, such as stepped-up basis, cash accounting, and deducibility of interest payments.”In addition to the launch of the new website, the campaign kicked off with a two-minute video that will be heavily promoted on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. The campaign’s first video features fifth-generation California rancher Kevin Kester, whose family struggled for a decade to pay a large death-tax bill after his grandfather passed away. With the specter of the death tax still looming, Kevin is forced to spend precious time and energy — not to mention thousands of dollars — planning for how to pass the ranch on to his children and grandchildren.“Without a doubt the biggest challenge that keeps me up at night is trying to figure out how to pass the ranching operation — our family operation on to the next generation,” Kester said in the video as he drives across his Bear Valley Ranch near Parkfield, Calif. “The current tax code is…leading toward more fragmentation of farms and ranches, which is not good for the environment or our ranchers and farmers.”Over the coming weeks, NCBA will roll out several other promoted videos and infographics featuring profiles of ranchers and other members of the cattle-production community. The products will enable American cattlemen and women to share their priorities for tax reform in their own words. The campaign will also connect grassroots ranchers and producers with their elected officials on Capitol Hill as tax-reform legislation is considered this autumn.“There’s a lot of misinformation out there on the tax debate — especially when it comes to who’s affected by the death tax,” Uden said. “This campaign will educate elected officials, the media, and the general public about how the tax code affects our American farmers and ranchers, who literally feed the world.”
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details. This article is only available to GBA Prime Members Start Free Trial Already a member? Log in UPDATED on December 4, 2016 with PV system production data for the first year of system operation.Compared to a photovoltaic system, a solar hot water system yields very little energy per dollar invested. I presented that argument in a 2012 article called “Solar Thermal Is Dead.” Two years later, in 2014, an economic comparison between these two solar technologies showed a stronger tilt than ever before in favor of PV, leading me to write a follow-up article called “Solar Thermal Is Really, Really Dead.”According to the latest available (2009) data from the Residential Energy Consumption Survey (RECS), the average U.S. household’s energy expenditure for domestic hot water is $280 per year. Since a solar hot water system can be expected to provide about 63% of a home’s hot water — the rest being produced by a backup system during cloudy weather — it’s hard for a solar hot water system to save more than $176 per year (about $15 per month). If the solar hot water system costs $9,000 — a reasonable assumption — the investment in solar equipment will yield only 2% per year. That’s less than the current yield on a U.S. 10-year bond.This analysis overstates the actual yield of an investment in a solar thermal system, however, for several reasons. First, this analysis ignores a solar thermal system’s ongoing maintenance costs; and second, when a U.S. bond matures, you still have your capital — whereas when a solar thermal system wears out, it’s headed to the landfill or scrap heap. High repair costs A third article on solar thermal systems — Solar Hot Water System Maintenance Costs — discussed the trials and tribulations experienced by my brother Peter and his wife Elana in Massachusetts. Over the past…
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Ex-Newcastle U23 coach Beardsley responds to his football banby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Newcastle United U23 coach Peter Beardsley has responded to his football ban.The 58-year-old has been suspended from all football-related activity after being found guilty of making racist comments by an independent regulatory commission.Beardsley left his role as Newcastle United Under-23 coach earlier this year following an internal investigation. He has now been banned by the FA until April 29 next year.In a statement released on behalf of Beardsley by the player’s representatives, Farleys Solicitors LLP, the ex-England man said: “Peter Beardsley is very surprised and disappointed by the decision of the Regulatory Commission.”It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the Disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that The FA Rules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.”After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the Commission has expressly found that he is not a racist.”Peter and his legal advisers have been inundated with support from all over the Country, both from fellow professionals of the highest repute including John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Les Ferdinand and Andrew Cole, as well as other football professionals including managers, coaches, players, and football fans, all of which provided unchallenged evidence to the Commission as to Peter’s good character, the fact that he is not a racist and whatever was said, there was no intent to cause offence.”Peter has had many great years at Newcastle United and despite the circumstances of his dismissal he will always have the Club close to his heart and wishes the fans the success they deserve in the future. Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter. Peter has always been willing and eager to attend all and any training organised by the Club. “Peter fully appreciates all the support over what has been a difficult period for him and his family, particularly that of previous manager and colleague Arthur Cox.”Peter has categorically denied the allegations throughout whilst continuing to honour the contractual obligations of confidentiality to Newcastle United and maintaining his silence which in itself has been very difficult.”With no avenue left open to him to clear his name Peter has no choice but to acknowledge the decision and now looks forward to moving on with his life and resuming his career.”He shall respect the sanction imposed and looks forward to returning to work in football, which has been his life, at the end of his suspension.”
Klopp offers opinion on Rodgers’ Liverpool downfallby Paul Vegas20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJurgen Klopp has offered his opinion on Brendan Rodgers’ downfall at Liverpool.The current Reds manager welcomes his predecessor back to Anfield at the weekend as they host Leicester City.“Only in public when a manager gets the sack that people think he lost his football brain or something. That is not how it happened,” he explained.I knew when I came that he was not the reason that things didn’t work out. Whatever it was, I don’t know, but it was not his quality as a coach. It is not as easy as that.“Expectations, relationships, whatever, if that doesn’t work anymore, the club has to make a decision. That will happen one day and the club will make a decision.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Login/Register With: Advertisement Twitter