Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez, left, warms up with teammates prior to the Emirates FA Cup, Fifth Round soccer match at the King Power Stadium in Leicester, England, Friday Feb. 16, 2018. Mahrez returned to Leicester’s starting lineup Friday and helped the team reach the FA Cup quarterfinals, starting for the first time since the collapse of his move to Manchester City last month. (Martin Rickett/PA via AP)Back in favor at Leicester, Riyad Mahrez helped the team reach the FA Cup quarterfinals by resuming his lethal partnership with Jamie Vardy on Friday.Vardy earned Leicester a 1-0 win over second-tier Sheffield United in the fifth round by heading in a cross from Mahrez, who was starting for the first time since the collapse of his move to Manchester City at the end of the January transfer window.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Mahrez spent more than a week in self-imposed exile after being denied a transfer to the English Premier League leader, missing two games and a string of training sessions.He began his reintegration by going on as a substitute last weekend — coincidentally in a league match against Man City — and was given a standing ovation by Leicester fans when substituted in injury time on Friday. He applauded them back.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk“The most important thing in the game was the fans supported Riyad,” Leicester manager Claude Puel said, “and when I replaced him, it was a good feeling with the fans. It’s important to stay united about this.”Chelsea also advanced against opposition from the League Championship, beating Hull 4-0 with Willian scoring twice and Olivier Giroud netting his first goal since joining from Arsenal.LETHAL COMBINATION PASSING THE AUDITIONWith Eden Hazard rested, this was a chance for other members of Chelsea’s attack to stake a claim for a starting place in next week’s Champions League match against Barcelona.They didn’t disappoint.Giroud, Willian and Pedro Rodriguez, the three-pronged forward line, all scored in the first half against Hull as Chelsea roared into a 4-0 lead by the 42nd minute.Both of Willian’s strikes were from outside the area and came off passes by Giroud, who scored the fourth with a neat near-post finish from a cross by debutant Emerson Palmieri. Cesc Fabregas set up Pedro’s goal with a superb pass over the defense.Chelsea manager Antonio Conte now has plenty of options up front for the last-16 first leg against Barcelona, with Giroud vying with fit-again Alvaro Morata for the striker spot while Pedro and Willian are competing for a place alongside Hazard.“For sure when I go home, I have many good doubts,” Conte said.Chelsea reached the quarterfinals for the 12th time in 17 seasons.REMAINING GAMESThe rest of the fifth round takes place from Saturday to Monday, with the two Manchester clubs and Tottenham still involved. Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed City finishes off the round by visiting third-tier Wigan in a repeat of the 2013 final won surprisingly by Wigan.United visits Huddersfield on Saturday, when it’s also: Sheffield Wednesday vs. Swansea, West Bromwich Albion vs. Southampton; and Brighton vs. Coventry. Tottenham is away to fourth-tier Rochdale on Sunday.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Vardy and Mahrez linked up to devastating effect when Leicester stunned the soccer world by winning the Premier League in 2016.During that memorable season, Vardy set a record by scoring in 11 straight league games and the England striker is on another run, having scored in five straight games in all competitions.His latest goal was a far-post header that looped over the goalkeeper in the 66th minute, following a cross from the right by Mahrez.“To see Riyad and Jamie play together again on the pitch was a good feeling,” Puel said.The goal would have given Vardy extra satisfaction, considering he is a boyhood Sheffield Wednesday fan.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer Out-of-form Pogba under scrutiny at Man United Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City
University of Guyana student Sheliza Dianne Jaferally was on Monday remanded to prison when she appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan on a charge of misuse of a telecommunications system.Jaferally is accused of issuing bomb threats against the tertiary institution. The 25-year-old denied that on Tuesday, February 5, 2019, by means of a public telecommunications system, she caused anxiety to the students and staff of the University of Guyana by transmitting a false message knowing same to be false.Defense Attorney Latchmie Rahamat in a bail application told the court that her client has completely denied the allegations and intends to “vigorously defendSheliza Dianne Jaferally at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Mondayherself.”Rahamat also presented to the court a printed and stamped copy of a list of generated phone numbers that are similar to that of her client’s.However, the police prosecutor opposed bail for the student on the grounds that she may tamper with witnesses as well as evidence that was generated during Police investigations against Jaferally.The prosecution also opposed bail on the grounds that the matter is a concern of public interest. Further, the court was informed that there are also four outstanding statements into the matter.Attorney Rahamat, after listening to the police submission, noted that the police have her client’s telecommunication devices in custody and, therefore, she would not be able to “tamper with witnesses or evidence” if granted bail.The defence attorney also informed the court that her client has been cooperating with investigators from the inception and has been incarcerated for more than 72 hours.However, the Chief Magistrate upheld the prosecution’s submissions, noting that the issue is a matter of public interest and remanded Jaferally to prison. The case will continue on February 18 at the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court.The alleged bomb threat forced the suspension of all classes at the University of Guyana with Police ranks, sniffer dogs, Guyana Fire Service operatives and other security personnel swooping down on the campus.Reports are, students received messages on their mobile devices just after 13:00h which purported that there were two bombs planted which would soon explode.The text claimed that the bombs were hidden in haversacks that were strategically placed, which caused some to panic and flee classrooms and buildings with some even leaving belongings behind. After security agents were summoned to the scene, no explosive device was uncovered.This latest incident follows threats carried out to School of the Nations, Queens College, the Bishops’ High and Mae’s schools.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – With recent talks regarding the Moose Hide Campaign, an invite to the lieutenant governor’s event on missing and murdered indigenous woman and girls, and the report of 231 recommendations, Mayor Lori Ackerman brought forward new business at Council.Mayor Lori Ackerman wanted to know how the City could host a community to community forum in Fort St. John for missing and murdered indigenous woman and girls and about the 231 recommendations with the town’s First Nations neighbours. The Mayor said, “For a conversation in the community about the 231 recommendations and what can be done as a community to address some of the recommendations.”The Mayor said it’s important to her that something would be done with the neighbouring first nations as well as addressing available funding through UBCM. The Mayor asked Council if they would want to move ahead planning an event if there were available funds in the current City budget or if they should wait to source other funding.- Advertisement -The City Manager suggested City Staff put together a report to better understand what the event would look like as the Mayor said, “We need to gauge the willingness of the First Nation Communities to participate, then we would be doing it ourselves.”The City Manager followed up that there was still value in doing a study session on the final report of the 231 recommendations and how it impacts communities and local governments and what recommendations can be moved forward on. The Mayor shared the biggest cost would be bringing someone in that could explain the recommendations.The council carried a motion to prepare a report on a forum.Advertisement To view more on missing and murdered indigenous woman and girls; CLICK HERE
Ricardo Rodriguez 1 AC Milan sporting director Massimiliano Mirabelli will fly to Germany this week to tie up a deal for Arsenal target Ricardo Rodriguez.The left-back is set to leave Wolfsburg this summer after the club slumped to a dismal finish of 16th in the Bundesliga and they face a relegation play-off against Eintracht Braunschweiger to stay up.Rodriguez will quit no matter what happens in that two-legged tie and it was reported he could join Arsenal.But now, according to La Stampa, the Switzerland international is closing in on a move to Milan instead.The Italian club’s sporting director, Mirabelli, is flying out to Germany this week to finalise a deal for Rodriguez.Milan will reportedly shell out around £15m, plus bonuses, for Rodriguez and the player will bank a wage close to £50,000-a-week.
DONEGAL Deputy Thomas Pringle has urged people to become whistleblowers on any doctors who illegally charge patients for blood tests.Mr Pringle told donegaldaily that patients should question the charges – and if they’re not happy, to report their GPs.Said the independent politician: “I have been contacted by my constituents informing me they have been charged for blood tests by their doctor. “I would like to clarify under the General Medical Services contract GPs should be providing blood tests when it forms part of the clinical investigation and necessary treatment of a patient’s symptoms or conditions free of charge to medical card and GP visit card holders.“I suggest if any patient is being charged by their GP’s within the criteria can and should make a complaint to the HSE Consumer Services Officer at 074 9189016.”TD’S ANGER AT DOCTORS CHARGING FOR BLOOD TESTS was last modified: May 25th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:blood testscharging for blood testsGPsThomas Pringle
ARCATA >> During Tom Wood’s legendary tenure on the Humboldt State sidelines, the only thing that was as frequent as 20-plus-win seasons were the West Regional appearances.For the first time in three seasons, the Jacks were able to get back to those same regionals, a place that saw them frequent for 11 straight years during HSU’s “Era of Excellence” under Wood and now sixth-year head coach Steve Kinder’s guidance.Now, Kinder, Wood’s former protege, enters the 2016-17 season looking to answer …
People act violently when they think God sanctions violence, thinks Brad Bushman, a social psychologist from U. of Michigan. Heidi Ledford wrote in Nature1 that he and others like Hector Avalos (Iowa State) propose editing Scripture. “Avalos has proposed a radical solution to theologically inspired violence � cut the violent passages out of the scripture.” He says this is not a “wildly controversial idea” because churches are already selective about what they preach.1Heidi Ledford, “Scriptural violence can foster aggression,” Nature 446, 114-115 (8 March 2007) | doi:10.1038/446114b.What business is this of Nature? Clean your own house, Darwinians. Thou shalt not alter a word of Scripture till thou purge Darwin’s writings of the racism that led to the largest and most pernicious genocides of all time.* Purge, also, the writings of his cousin Galton on eugenics, and the writings of all the other Darwin disciples who saw violence as a good thing – the agent of evolutionary progress. 148 million people perished in the last 100 years due to Darwin-inspired regimes. Multiple millions more who survived suffered other forms of violence, torture and deprivation. When you are done with that little exercise, then purge the Quran of its violent passages. How convenient to attack the Scriptures of Christians who believe in praying for one’s enemies, while ignoring the 1.5 billion people subscribing to a “religion of peace” that believes in blowing up buses and shopping malls in the name of the moon god so that brainwashed young men can fulfill their fantasies of eternal sex. Then, Darwin Party, write a term paper on the hospitals and charities and improvements to education and government founded by Christians. These are prerequisites before starting any conversation about the interpretation of the violent passages in Scripture, which have been duly discussed in context by Jewish and Christian theologians for millennia. OK, atheists, got any virtues you would like to brag about? Besides hypocrisy, that is. How about a little altruism? (01/21/2006, 03/16/2005).(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts Arnaud Nourry, the CEO of the world’s second largest book publisher, Hachette Livre, says that the current pricing trends for eBooks may soon kill the hardcover book as we know it. In an interview with the Financial Times, Nourry says that he worries that the combination of the $9.99 price for bestsellers and the fact that Google now offers millions of out-of-copyright books for free could destroy profits for traditional publishing houses. Nourry is especially worried about the fact that Amazon is currently selling eBooks at a loss and that the company will soon demand that publishers will lower their prices so that it can actually make a profit from selling eBooks in its Kindle store.Will eBooks Really Kill Profit Margins for Publishers?Based on this interview, we can’t help but think that Nourry doesn’t quite get the opportunities (and cost-savings) that electronic books will bring, though there can be no doubt that Amazon has now established $9.99 as the price for bestsellers in the US and all of its competitors like Barnes & Noble and Sony have followed suit (though it is not clear if Amazon’s competitors are also currently subsidizing their eBooks). Publishers obviously incur costs when producing a book and only a small number of bestsellers make up the majority of most publishers’ revenue. In the eBook marketplace, however, where distribution costs are negligible and publishers could even cut out middle-men like Amazon and Sony if they wanted to, the profit margins for most publishing houses are more likely to go up than down, even if they have to price the majority of their books between $0.01 and $9.99.Maybe We Won’t Need Traditional Publishing Houses in the Future?When we talked to Mark Coker from self-publishing house Smashwords last week, he argued that as traditional publishing houses start to reign in cost as the traditional business model in the industry starts to collapse, publishers will start to offload some of their costs to authors (copy-editing, design, etc.). Coker also thinks that publishers will start to look at self-published authors as a sort of farm-league for their big imprints. That could very well be true, and if this happens, then publishers will see even higher profit margins than today.Or Maybe Books Will Just Hang On For a While Longer?Of course, there is also still a chance that readers will just hang on to their regular books – after all, they have served us well for hundreds of years now. As GigaOm’s Jordan Golson puts it, “There’s nothing quite like going into a bookstore and browsing the shelves looking for your next great read, so the electronic revolution won’t affect books as much as it has music and movies.” There is some truth in this, of course, but every eBook vendor offers free first chapters of almost every book and the same argument was probably made by music aficionados whenever another local record store closed in the last few years. For ReadWriteWeb’s in-depth analysis of the changing face of publishing, read Bernard Lunn’s series: Bits Of Destruction Hit the Book Publishing Business. A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#E-Books#news#web frederic lardinois 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic…
With Assam on the edge ahead of the publication of the draft National Register of Citizens, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Wednesday sought to dispel apprehensions, and said “genuine” Indians missing from the register would get enough opportunities to add their names.Massive preparations are in place to ensure peace, and no one will be allowed to take the law into their hands after the publication of the first draft of the register, a list of the State’s citizens, on December 31, the Chief Minister said.“No one should have any apprehensions. If the name of a genuine Indian citizen is missing in the part draft of the NRC, he or she will get a proper chance to incorporate it,” Mr. Sonowal said.The Chief Minister made it clear that the government would tolerate no violence. “We have received Central forces and they are being deployed across the state to ensure peace. No untoward incident will be allowed,” he said. The NRC is being updated following a Supreme Court directive in 2005.
A Cessna 172 aircraft on a training flight crashed in the agricultural fields at Baramati in Maharashtra on Tuesday.The four-seater, single engine aircraft was being flown by Siddharth Titus, when it crashed at around 12 noon. The pilot, according to officials of the district collectorate suffered injuries and had been taken to a nearby hospital.The aircraft was on a ‘solo, cross country flight’ as per a part of routine flying. Registered as VT-RDX, the aircraft was owned by Mumbai-based Carver Aviation, as per record of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).The DGCA officials said that an officer would be visiting Baramati to probe the incident.The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is an American four-seat, single-engine, high wing, fixed-wing aircraft made by the Cessna Aircraft Company.