View comments Arellano University eyes a double celebration as its men’s and women’s teams try to finish off their respective foes in the 93rd NCAA volleyball tournament on Monday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan City.“We can’t afford to give them a chance to beat us,” said coach Obet Javier as his Lady Chiefs gun for a second straight women’s title and third overall.ADVERTISEMENT Almodiel, a 20-year-old transferee from Southwestern University in Cebu, vowed to strike back strong.“I felt the pressure. I hope to bounce back,” said Almodiel.In the juniors’ division, defending champion Perpetual Help and Letran start their own best-of-three duel at 11 a.m.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano The Lady Chiefs shoot for a finals sweep after turning back the San Beda Lady Red Spikers, 25-15, 25-16, 15-25, 22-25, 15-6, in Game 1.Regine Anne Arocha and Jovielyn Grace Prado are expected to star anew in the 4 p.m. showdown after the duo led three other players who finished in double-figures.In men’s action, the Chiefs also stunned the fancied Perpetual Help Altas, 12-25, 25-21, 19-25, 26-24, 15-9, to gain the upper hand in their best-of-three duel.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk“I’ll just try to help the team win a championship,” said Christian dela Paz, who delivered 24 points in the opener.The 20-year-old Dela Paz outshone Perpetual Help’s Joebert Almodiel, the newly awarded rookie MVP and Best Outside Spiker, who was held to eight hits in his first finals appearance in the NCAA. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City GA tackles crucial POC issues LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
The four persons who have been accused of the execution-style killing of domestic worker Lelawattie Mohamed at her Lot 149, Sixth Street, Tain Settlement, Corentyne Berbice home on February 7, 2017 will now face a Judge and jury to answer the capital indictment.At conclusion of the preliminary inquiry in the Berbice High Court on Thursday, November 29, Magistrate Charlene Artiga committed Tain residents Oliver Permaul, 36, and his wife Nazeema Permaul, 42; Andre James, also called ‘Andy’, 26, a tattoo artist of Lot 46 ‘A’ George Street, Rose Hall Town; and Rohan Johnson, 38, a carpenter of Clarendon, Jamaica and of Lot 107 Second Street, Rose Hall Town.The shooting, witnessed by the woman’s children, reportedly appeared to have been committed during the commission of a robbery.It has been reported that the late Lelawattie Mohamed had been having an affair with a businessman, but after his wife found out, she allegedly ordered a “hit” on Mohamed.It has further been reported that the said businesswoman was in a relationship with Permaul, who operates his barbershop opposite her home at Tain, Corentyne. Johnson and James were reportedly the hired “hit men”.Nazeema Permaul allegedly assisted in planning the murder, and also allegedly acted as the agent who handed over the cash to the ‘hit men’.On September 24, a fifth accused — Shabikie Albert, also called ‘Shabikie Thompson’ — was freed of this indictment by Magistrate Artiga.During the preliminary inquiry, the Permauls were represented by Attorney- at-Law Mursaline Bacchus, while Attorney-at-Law Benard DeSantos represented James, and Attorney-at-Law Moti Singh represented Johnson.