David Ortiz Receives Qualifying Offer from Red Sox

David Ortiz received a qualifying offer from the Boston Red Sox on Friday for $13. 3 million before Friday’s the 5 p.m. ET deadline set by MLB.The team and Ortiz are negotiating a two-year deal that is “very close” to being completed according to sources, but the exact amount of the contract is still being negotiated.“David is someone who we feel strongly about bringing back, and we’re trying to figure out a way to do that and we hope that happens,” Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said earlier this week.Ortiz will become a free agent by midnight Friday if they can’t come to an agreement, which will allow him to talk to other teams. The qualifying offer is less than the $14.48 million he earned in 2012, but has until Nov. 9 to accept the offer. The Red Sox strategically gave the designated hitter the qualifying to ensure if he signs with another team they can receive draft picks as compensation.One of the teams that has expressed interest in Ortiz is the Texas Rangers. They envision Ortiz as a left-handed hitter who could replace Josh Hamilton, who is a free agent and received a qualifying offer from the Rangers. The Rangers feel Ortiz could the clubhouse more of an edge.Ortiz will turn 37 on Nov. 18, missed the last 71 of 72 games due to a right Achilles strain he suffered on July 16. The eight-time All-Star finished the season with a 23 home runs, 60 RBIs, and a .318 batting average in 90 games.In 2003, Ortiz joined the Red Sox and was a central figure in helping the club win the 2004 and 2007 World Series. One-year deals are noting new to Ortiz, who has been in one each of the past two seasons. The Red Sox exercised his $12.5 million option for 2011, and Ortiz accepted arbitration in 2012, settling on a $14.575 million salary.Ortiz has made his desire to stay in Boston public and is fond of team’s new manager, John Farrell.“Something will get done,” Ortiz told the Boston Globe about signing a new deal with the team. “I feel good about it.” read more

Infosys BPO Overbilled Apple After CFO Sacking Six More Could Face Axe

first_imgThe financial irregularities in Infosys’ BPO unit that led to the sacking of the CFO is reportedly linked to the overbilling of services for Apple Inc. Six more people may also face the axe over the matter.Infosys fired its BPO unit’s CFO Abraham Mathews for violation of the company’s code of conduct, as he failed to throw light on the irregularities made by his employees.The BPO unit’s CEO Gautam Thakkar had also put down his papers, citing responsibility on “moral grounds”.The irregularities in Infosys BPO’s dealings with Apple came out during an internal audit, Reuters reported. Six more employees are in the line of fire for allegedly producing inflated invoices and overbilling Apple for many months.Till Wednesday, it was reported that Mathews had failed to disclose financial irregularities by an employee, who had overbilled a client at one of the BPO’s centres, but it was not known who the client was.While the financial fraud’s impact was said to be minimal, the company took the firm step of sacking the CFO to underline its “zero-tolerance policy for any improper conduct”.”The financial irregularities are not material in nature and the company has already made required disclosures. The company has taken disciplinary action on employees,” Infosys spokeswoman Sarah Gideon told Reuters in an email.The company has named senior members Anup Uppadhayay and Deepak Bhalla as the unit’s chief executive and chief financial officer respectively to take charge of the BPO unit, which contributes up to 7% to the company’s revenue.last_img read more

HPD Identifies Suspect In Shooting Incident as Nathan DeSai

first_img 00:00 /00:31 Lee Antoine Wilson was driving through the area to drop his girlfriend off at work at a nearby store when he witnessed the police response. 00:00 /00:14 Share Governor Greg Abbott’s Twitter account Stay with News 88.7 for the latest news and updates. Listen Another resident, Lee Williams, recorded the gunfire on his phone and played it for reporters. You could hear a pop, then a pause, then another pop. And then apparently when police arrived, three shots in very quick succession.Williams said someone was just down the street in front of a red brick apartment building, shooting at passing cars on Law Street, a narrow tree lined lane. Williams said he used his flashlight to try to warn and stop a steady procession of early-morning commuters who use the street as a shortcut.Numerous vehicles on the scene had windows shot out. Police said the crime scene covers a multiple block area near Weslayan at Bissonnet.Look at one of the vehicles shot up #WestUShooting #khou11 pic.twitter.com/DRe9QUYsQM— Melissa Correa (@MCorreaKHOU) September 26, 2016 Texas Governor Greg Abbott released a statement on the shooting via his Twitter account: Listen X X To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: – / 6The Houston Police Department formally named the gunman in yesterday’s mass shooting near West University Place. The Harris County Medical Examiner has identified him as 46 year old Nathan DeSai, a local attorney. They announced the identification via Twitter.The shootings happened early Monday near Weslayan and Law Streets. DeSai was dressed in a vintage military uniform and was hiding behind a tree randomly shooting at passing cars, acording to the Police. Officers cleared some civilians from the line of fire and shot him dead.Lisa Diehl works nearby at Weslayan and U.S. 59. She says she got a call telling her to stay away from the area.The deceased suspect of the shooting that left nine people injured Monday in the West University area had already been mentioned by the HPD as the owner of a vehicle parked at the scene of the shooting. DeSai was a lawyer.Acting Chief Martha Montalvo had previously said at a press conference that the suspect had issues at his law firm.Desai’s former associate, Kenneth McDaniel, told Houston Public Media they closed their firm back in February because they were not making enough money and went their separate ways.Montalvo didn’t clarify whether that could be the motive for the shooting. “At this point we’re very open minded in terms of what the motive (is) and that’s why we have as our partner, the FBI, is involved with this investigation as well,” she said.HPD Homicide Cpt. Dwayne Ready had also said that the suspect was shooting on Law Street. When police officers engaged him shortly after 6:30 a.m. the suspect shot at them as he was using a tree for cover. Ready said they exchanged fire and finally the police officers killed the shooter.“The suspect had two weapons on him at the time, either on his person or in his car that he was standing nearby at the time of this incident, one of them is a .45 semi-automatic handgun, the other one is a .45 semi-automatic Thompson carbine, commonly known as a Tommy gun,” Ready said.Ready said the suspect also had a knife and more than 2,000 rounds of ammunition at his place and in his car, which was checked and cleared for explosives.He was wearing what Ready described as a military uniform and Montalvo specified it had Nazi emblems on it.No motives have been disclosed yet but authorities said that right now “there is no association to any organization or terrorist group.” HPD recovered nearly one hundred pieces of evidence, including shell casings.Out of the nine people injured during the shooting, six were shot and three had minor injuries related to flying glass when the gunman opened fire, according to police. Three were discharged in good condition yesterday. One remained in critical condition but improved overnight, according to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where the person remains hospitalized. The hospital said that there is still another patient being treated for injuries. last_img read more