The Brock University Alumni Association is holding its annual general meeting June 24 as it recognizes the contributions Brock graduates have made to the University and Niagara communities, as well as the achievements of the Brock University Alumni Association.Dinner will be provided. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.orgWhat: Brock University Alumni Association AGMWhen: June 24: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.Where: Alphie’s Trough, Brock University
EDITOR’S NOTE: The name and photo of the accused have been removed from this story after it was learned all charges against the accused were dropped in November 2015 before the case went to trial.Toronto police have charged a man with multiple counts relating to a child pornography investigation.It’s believed he used up to six aliases to lure victims online, and police say there may be more victims.The man was arrested last week after a complaint was filed. It is alleged he used social media and emails under fake names to lure children. Police say he created profiles to make himself appear to be a teenage girl in order to contact other young girls.He has been charged with five counts of making child pornography, possession and accessing of child pornography, making it available and luring a child under 16 years of age.During the press conference today, police urged any other victims to come forward.“He was posing as teenage girls … to reach to other teenage girls using these email that we’re aware of and possible others that we’re unaware of,” said Detective Scott McQuoid of the Toronto Police Sex Crimes and Child Exploitation Unit.Police also urged parents to monitor their children’s online activities. Anyone with information in the case is asked to contact Toronto Police or Crimestoppers.
Niagara Regional Police Chief Jeff McGuire has announced he will be retiring on July 14. McGuire, who became the forces eighth chief of police in 2012, has been a police officer for forty years. He is a former President of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police and is a member of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the FBI National Academy Associates and the Police Executive Research Forum. McGuire is credited with creating a program in the Niagara Region that establishes positive relationships between cops and at-risk youth called ProAction Cops & Kids Chapter.“I am incredibly honoured and humbled to have had the opportunity to lead the men and women of the Niagara Regional Police Service for the past five years,” said McGuire in a news release. “I could not have succeeded in my role without the support, loyalty and friendship of my executive team and I thank them for welcoming me into this organization and supporting me throughout my tenure. I am very proud of all of the women and men of the NRPS, both civilian and sworn, and their commitment to making every community across the Region a safer place for all. I know they will continue to set the benchmark for professionalism, dedication and excellence for the delivery of policing services for years to come. I wish all members of the Service and the Board great success as they move forward.”The Niagara Police Services Board says they will convene soon to consider interim responsibilities and the recruitment of a new Chief of Police.
A 61-year-old man is in hospital after an industrial accident in Cayuga. Emergency crews were called to Concession 2 Road at 5:12 p.m. Thursday after an employee fell from the top of a silo and was seriously hurt. The man was working at the top of the silo when he fell nearly 50 feet to the ground. He was taken to hospital via ORNGE air ambulance with serious but non-life threatening injuries. The Ministry of Labour was contacted and will be investigating the incident.
MONTREAL — Power Corp. is prepared to invest more than $10 billion over the next five years to expand its empire while it also looks to sell some assets and exit the newspaper business, the holding company’s co-CEOs said Friday.“We have a capacity in the coming five years to put capital exceeding $10 billion at work to play a consolidation game and to play the game in the big leagues,” Paul Desmarais Jr. said at a news conference after its annual meeting.He said the sum will be larger when including money to be invested by subsidiaries like Power Financial.A key area of focus is the U.S. pension fund business that is expected to undergo consolidation. Currently, it owns Putnam Investments, acquired in 2007.“It’s a very fragmented business and we will have an opportunity to be one of the big consolidators in this industry.”Desmarais added that the large Canadian holding company — which has assets around the world including a large stake in China Asset Management Co. — is examining some of its capital intensive businesses to see if they can be sold at attractive prices.Co-CEO and brother, Andre Desmarais, added that insurer Great-West Life and fund manager IGM Financial are not on the sales block.Desmarais said he expects other Canadian newspaper owners will take a hard look at its decision to transform its Montreal La Presse news group into a not-for-profit structure.The 130-year-old newspaper is owned by Square Victoria Communications Group, a subsidiary of Power, which plans to grant $50 million to the venture.Under the new structure, Power Corp. would no longer own the media company or have any ties with the not-for-profit structure.“I think it makes a lot of sense and I think it makes sense for English Canada as much as it does for Quebec,” he told reporters.Desmarais noted that all news media outlets are grappling with the rise of digital competitors such as Google and Facebook, and will have to figure out how to proceed.“Everyone will have their why now moment and probably a public company will have a why now moment a lot faster than a private company.”Part of the shift in La Presse’s ownership structure is designed to allow it to get donations and funding from government, which is unfeasible as long as it is owned by one of Canada’s richest families.“If I was in government I wouldn’t give a subsidy to the Desmarais family. It would be misinterpreted,” he said.But Andre Desmarais said he’s optimistic that the federal government, which is studying funding for national newspapers, will end up providing funding because it would want to help a medium that supports democracy. He noted that the CBC gets about $1 billion a year, but just for the broadcast medium.Meanwhile, Paul Desmarais told shareholders that the Lafarge board of directors, on which he is a member as the owner of 9.43 per cent in Lafarge-Holcim, was not aware of the cement maker allegedly funding Syrian militants until it was reported on by the media in 2016.“As soon as this matter was brought to its attention, the board of directors immediately initiated an independent internal investigation, the results of which were, on its own initiative, turned over to the authorities with the assurance of its co-operation,” he said in a statement read to reporters.It also implemented additional compliance and internal control measures.French and Belgian authorities are investigating several ex-employees for their alleged roles in indirectly funding groups including the Islamic State to guarantee safe passage for staff and supply of plants.The wrongdoing precedes Lafarge’s merger with Swiss company Holcim in 2017.Power Corp. says its net earnings more than doubled to a record $525 million or $1.13 per share in the first quarter, compared with $258 million or 56 cents per share in the prior year quarter.Excluding restructuring and other charges last year, adjusted profits were $269 million or 58 cents per share in the first quarter of 2017.Power increased its quarterly dividend 6.6 per cent to 38.20 cents per share, payable June 29 to shareholders of record June 8.——Power Corp. holds an investment in The Canadian Press as part of a joint agreement with a subsidiary of the Globe and Mail and Torstar Corp.Companies in this story: (TSX:POW, TSX:PWF).
Death threat charges laidA 30-year-old man from Norfolk County is facing charges of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm following an altercation.On June 11 a man entered a home on Queen Street North and removed a Hoverboard. The owner later located the Hoverboard and reclaimed it without contacting police.On June 12 the same man returned to the address and became involved in a verbal altercation with the homeowner.The accused is scheduled to appear in court.Suspected shoplifter chargedA 20-year-old Norfolk County woman has been charged in relation to a shoplifting report from Food Basics.On June 12 around 11:46 a.m. a theft was reported from the West Street, Simcoe, grocery store. Police say that a woman attended Food Basics on June 11 and removed a quantity of merchandise.As a result a 20-year-old has been charged with theft under $5,000. She is scheduled to appear in court at a later date.Driver facing several chargesA 35-year-old man from Norfolk County is in custody after a vehicle was stopped by police.The driver is facing several charges after being stopped on Schafer Side Road near Courtland on June 12 around 2:20 p.m.Police were conducting an investigation at an address when the vehicle drove by, catching an officer’s attention.The driver has been charged with operation while prohibited, driving while under suspension, obstruct peace officer, possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000, drive motor vehicle not equipped with approved ignition interlock device while prohibited from doing so, and fail to comply with probation order.The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice located in Simcoe at a later date.Several faucets stolenIn the early morning hours of June 12 a home that is under construction on Blueline Road near Port Dover was entered, and all of the faucets in the home were removed.The theft is valued at $3,000. Police are asking for the public’s help in the investigation.Licence plate stolenA licence plate was removed from a trailer that was parked on a property on Townline Street in the Charlotteville area.The theft occurred some point between April 1 and June 7.OPP continue to investigate.Online scammer asks for $25,000A Norfolk County resident knew they were being scammed when they were asked for $25,000.The resident has established a relationship on a dating site.On June 12 around 8:48 p.m. police were contacted when the suspect asked to borrow $25,000 from the resident, claiming that several emergencies occurred.The victim then recognized the scam and contacted police.In some cases, prolonged interaction with individuals has cost some victims tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars before the relationship ends – usually after the culprit gets what they want.