TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Ex-Newcastle U23 coach Beardsley responds to his football banby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Newcastle United U23 coach Peter Beardsley has responded to his football ban.The 58-year-old has been suspended from all football-related activity after being found guilty of making racist comments by an independent regulatory commission.Beardsley left his role as Newcastle United Under-23 coach earlier this year following an internal investigation. He has now been banned by the FA until April 29 next year.In a statement released on behalf of Beardsley by the player’s representatives, Farleys Solicitors LLP, the ex-England man said: “Peter Beardsley is very surprised and disappointed by the decision of the Regulatory Commission.”It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the Disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that The FA Rules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.”After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the Commission has expressly found that he is not a racist.”Peter and his legal advisers have been inundated with support from all over the Country, both from fellow professionals of the highest repute including John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Les Ferdinand and Andrew Cole, as well as other football professionals including managers, coaches, players, and football fans, all of which provided unchallenged evidence to the Commission as to Peter’s good character, the fact that he is not a racist and whatever was said, there was no intent to cause offence.”Peter has had many great years at Newcastle United and despite the circumstances of his dismissal he will always have the Club close to his heart and wishes the fans the success they deserve in the future. Surprisingly, Newcastle United did not provide the relevant training and education for Peter. Peter has always been willing and eager to attend all and any training organised by the Club. “Peter fully appreciates all the support over what has been a difficult period for him and his family, particularly that of previous manager and colleague Arthur Cox.”Peter has categorically denied the allegations throughout whilst continuing to honour the contractual obligations of confidentiality to Newcastle United and maintaining his silence which in itself has been very difficult.”With no avenue left open to him to clear his name Peter has no choice but to acknowledge the decision and now looks forward to moving on with his life and resuming his career.”He shall respect the sanction imposed and looks forward to returning to work in football, which has been his life, at the end of his suspension.”
Klopp offers opinion on Rodgers’ Liverpool downfallby Paul Vegas20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJurgen Klopp has offered his opinion on Brendan Rodgers’ downfall at Liverpool.The current Reds manager welcomes his predecessor back to Anfield at the weekend as they host Leicester City.“Only in public when a manager gets the sack that people think he lost his football brain or something. That is not how it happened,” he explained.I knew when I came that he was not the reason that things didn’t work out. Whatever it was, I don’t know, but it was not his quality as a coach. It is not as easy as that.“Expectations, relationships, whatever, if that doesn’t work anymore, the club has to make a decision. That will happen one day and the club will make a decision.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Don’t even think about poking the Nebraska men’s basketball student section in the eye today, Adam Woodbury. The Huskers have come prepared. In an obvious attempt to mock the Iowa big man, a notorious eye gouger, three Nebraska students are sporting protective eye goggles for the Huskers’ game against the Hawkeyes this afternoon. Check it out: Students in the @HuskerRedZone wearing protective goggles today, just in case Adam Woodbury gets too close. pic.twitter.com/bYM6rnpAGH— Robin Washut (@RobinWashut) February 22, 2015That’s just fantastic. Nebraska (13-13, 5-9 Big Ten) and Iowa (16-10, 7-6 Big Ten) are set to tip off at 3 p.m. E.T. The Huskers will be wearing special throwback uniforms for Legends Weekend.
CBS Sports’ Tom Fornelli decided to rank what he believes to be the five most difficult schedules heading into the 2016 college football season Friday afternoon. #FridayFive: The five teams with the most difficult schedules in 2016 https://t.co/BLaRUUprr1 pic.twitter.com/aSJ99tGp1l— Tom Fornelli (@TomFornelli) June 10, 2016With a lot of schedules to work through, these are the five he came up with.1. Wisconsin 2. USC 3. Alabama 4. BYU 5. AuburnA couple thoughts: There’s no way Wisconsin’s schedule is more difficult that USC’s. The Trojans have one of the most daunting slates in recent memory. In case you missed it, we ranked our 15 most difficult schedules for 2016 earlier this year and you can find that here.What do you think, college football fans? Did he get it right?
Twitter/@SouthernPigskinKirby Smart continues to recruit at an impressive level at Georgia, even when his former employer Alabama is involved. Today, the Dawgs picked up a commitment from four-star in-state offensive tackle D’Antne Demery. BREAKING: 4-star offensive tackle D’Antne Demery commits to #UGA over Alabama. https://t.co/Y16cVoLdhJ Free story pic.twitter.com/wmecdqDJJC— Radi Nabulsi (@RadiNabulsi) June 15, 2016Scout’s Chad Simmons broadcast the decision, which you can rewatch on Periscope.LIVE on #Periscope https://t.co/ZpPGanQbU4 — Chad Simmons (@ChadSimmons_) June 15, 2016247Sports ranks Demery as one of the top 15 players in Georgia. He is the 11th player to commit to Georgia in the 2017 recruiting cycle.MORE FROM COLLEGE SPUN:The 10 Most Aggressive Fan Bases In CFBIn Photos: Golfer Paige SpiranacESPN Makes Decision On Dick Vitale
Xherdan Shaqiri insists Liverpool can handle the pressure of being Premier League favourites.And the Reds star has rejected the idea that the Reds can blast Manchester City out of the title race when they travel to the Etihad this week.Jurgen Klopp’s side have enjoyed a dream Christmas, winning all three of their festive fixtures to open up a seven-point gap at the top of the table. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? City, who leapfrogged Spurs to go second with a win at Southampton on Sunday, can cut the deficit to four with a win over Liverpool in Thursday night’s blockbuster clash. Klopp’s men, though, know that a victory, or even a draw, would simply reinforce their own credentials.Liverpool were ruthless in brushing past Arsenal at the weekend, recovering from an early setback to win 5-1 at Anfield. They have now won nine straight league games, and are unbeaten in 21 stretching back to May.Klopp, for his part, has been eager to play down talk of a first league title since 1990, but Shaqiri says that the players are not burdened by the scrutiny which comes with their lofty position.“Pressure is everywhere in your life,” said the Swiss international. “Even in football, there is always pressure.“When you are first in the table everyone comes after you, everyone wants to beat you, so every game is very tough. We just have to keep going, to stay at the highest level.“I’m sure we can keep going, but there’s a long way to go if we’re going to be successful.”City are one of only three teams to have taken points off Liverpool this season, and could even have had all three, with Riyad Mahrez missing a late penalty in the sides’ goalless draw back in October.Pep Guardiola’s side won 5-0 when the teams met at the Etihad in the league last season, but Liverpool were victorious there in the Champions League in April.Shaqiri, accordingly, expects a fiercely-competitive game this week.“For us we don’t go there to take Man City out of the race, we go there for a Premier League game,” he told reporters.“We go there to make a good performance first of all and try to win games. That’s the only goal that we have. There are no other things in our minds at the moment. We just have to keep going, to work hard every day in training to win games. I’m sure when we keep going like this we are going to be very successful.“We play very good football, very successful football and we are in a very good way to be very successful. Everything can happen this season but it’s a long way to go. We have closed this [Arsenal] game, and in a few days we have another one to go. We are going to go again.”He added: “Of course for you guys it’s always a message when we win games but for us it’s three points that are very important. City is also behind with Tottenham.“Of course they’re going to come after us and try to win, to grab three points. It’s going to be a very interesting game, a good game. We’re looking forward to this game to go and make a very good performance. We’re also confident to try to win the game.”Shaqiri smiled when it was suggested that Liverpool, despite their plaudits and their points and their remarkable unbeaten record, still had room for improvement.“Obviously we play very good football,” he added. “You can see that on the pitch and that’s also important for the fans.“But it’s also important to win games, to have three points in the bag every game. I think as a team everybody gives everything. The mix is very very good and you can see that.”Liverpool will assess the fitness of midfielder James Milner, who has missed their last two games with a hamstring issue. City, meanwhile, have doubts over the fitness of midfield duo Kevin De Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web
Chelsea have denied reports in the UK media that an £18 million ($22.7m) offer from Wolves for Tammy Abraham has been accepted, but Goal can confirm they will weigh up his options in the January transfer window.Aston Villa signed Abraham on a season-long loan deal during the summer of 2018, but Chelsea have the option to cut short the 21-year-old’s stay in the Championship short and have a host of Premier League clubs interested in their young striker.The striker has scored 16 goals already this season for Villa, who are sitting five points away from the play-off places, with the likes of Wolves, Newcastle United, Crystal Palace and Huddersfield Town all keen on acquiring his services. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Chelsea and Abraham may agree that a Premier League loan can aid his development further during the second half of the campaign, and Villa face the prospect of losing one of their star players earlier than they would have hoped for.Wolves’ £18m offer marks them out as frontrunners for a deal, but it remains unclear which club Abraham will be playing for by the end of the January transfer window.Chelsea’s head coach Maurizio Sarri had previously confirmed that he will not recall Abraham, or Michy Batshuayi – who is having an underwhelming loan spell at Valencia which the Blues are also considering cutting short – early from their respective deals.”No [I don’t need another striker], because I have the option with Hazard in this position,” he said. “We have Morata and Hazard can play very well in this position as we have seen in the last two, three matches. So I think that in this moment I don’t need another striker. “Maybe another winger, because now we are in trouble with the injuries of Pedro, of [Callum] Hudson-Odoi and [Ruben] Loftus-Cheek. So I have the option for the striker [Hazard] but at the moment I have no option for the wingers.”Chelsea have also completed the signing Christian Pulisic in a £58m ($73m) deal from Borussia Dortmund, though he will not play for the club until next season as he has been loaned back to the Bundesliga leaders for the remaining six months of the campaign.
Liverpool have been advised not to “blow their transfer budget” on re-signing Philippe Coutinho, with John Aldridge of the opinion that Wilfried Zaha would be a better option for Jurgen Klopp.A return to Anfield for the Brazil international playmaker has been mooted this summer.Coutinho only left Merseyside in the winter transfer window of 2018, but has struggled to make the impact expected of him at Barcelona. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Champions League winners Liverpool are considered to be in need of greater creativity in the middle of the park and many have talked up the logic of moving for a familiar face.Alrdidge, though, is not convinced, with the former Reds striker telling the Irish Independent: “Coutinho left on a sour note as he forced his way out of the club and while he is a great player, I don’t think Liverpool should blow their transfer budget on bringing him back.“None of us have forgotten that Coutinho left Liverpool in a difficult position when he jumped ship mid-way through the season, so we should not give him a simple route back to play for the European champions.“We all trust Klopp in whatever decisions he makes, but I think adding attacking a top quality attacking option would be the way forward this summer.”Having suggested that Coutinho is not the answer for Liverpool, Aldridge has offered up an alternative solution.He believes that the Reds should be shopping closer to home, with a potential match-winner to be found on the books of Premier League rivals Crystal Palace.“Wilfried Zaha is the one I think he [Klopp] should go for,” added Aldridge.“With Daniel Sturridge leaving the club and his huge wages coming off the weekly bill, it opens up the opportunity for Klopp to sign an out-and-out goalscorer who could offer something different if one of the front three is injured or out of form.“Zaha has given Liverpool some real problems in the last couple of years and Klopp’s ability to turn talents of his type into consistent performers has to make him the kind of player who could thrive at Anfield.” Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web
Borussia Dortmund playmaker Marco Reus is as good a player as Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne, according to his team-mate Alex Witsel.Reus, who recently turned 30, scored 24 goals for Dortmund last season – 21 of them in the Bundesliga – as they eventually finished agonising runners-up to rivals Bayern Munich.This summer has seen Hazard make a €100 million (£88.5m/$111m) move from Chelsea to Real Madrid, the joint-eighth most expensive transfer of all time. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? De Bruyne, meanwhile, lit up the Premier League two seasons ago and despite an injury-disrupted 2018-19 campaign, remains one of the most potent attacking threats in the English domestic league.Witsel, though, believes that Reus deserves to be talked about on the same level as his Belgian compatriots.“Yes, he (Reus) is qualitatively on the same level. For me, he is a top player,” the midfielder said.German international Reus was voted the Bundesliga player of the season last year, the third time he has been awarded the individual trophy. He also featured in the league’s team of the season for a sixth time. Witsel continued: “Of course he deserves it. He’s a fantastic player, his shooting technique is crazy.“He’s a very important player for us, the club, the fans.”Witsel himself didn’t have a bad season for BVB, scoring six goals from midfield in 43 games following his return to Europe from Chinese Super League outfit Tianjin Quanjian.Dortmund will mount another effort to topple the domestic dominance of Munich this season, with the first game of the new season at home to Augsburg on August 17.Munich, who have won the league seven seasons in a row, will come head-to-head with Dortmund in the DFL Supercup on August 3.BVB, managed by Lucien Favre, have been bolstered by a number of eye-catching recruits this summer, including the return of defender Mats Hummels from Bayern for a fee in excess of £30m ($36m).Left wingers Julian Brandt and Thorgan Hazard – brother of Eden – have arrived from Bayern Leverkusen and Borussia Monchengladbach, respectively, while they have also completed the permanent signing of loan sensation Paco Alcacer from Barcelona. Bayern have also spent big, acquiring defenders Lucas Hernandez from Atletico Madrid, and Benjamin Pavard from Stuttgart.
NORMAN, OK – NOVEMBER 12: Cheerleaders of the Oklahoma Sooners perform during the game against the Texas A&M Aggies on November 12, 2005 at Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. The Sooners won 36-30. (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images) *** Local Caption ***Few things in sports are better than college football rivalry games. We’re going to be getting some really, really good ones this year, too.Most of these games are far off, not taking place until midway (or later) through the season. Still, it’s never too early to start thinking about them.A Las Vegas sportsbook has released some initial betting lines for these games.Who’s favored in the Oklahoma-Texas contest? Will the Longhorns be able to beat the Sooners in Year 2 of the Tom Herman era?The sportsbook doesn’t think so.An initial betting line has been set. Oklahoma is favored by a lot.Oklahoma is a 12-point favorite in this year’s game, set to be played in early October.Full betting lines can be seen below:Games of the Year lines up @southpointlv:Ohio St -1.5 at Penn StAuburn at Alabama -7Michigan at Ohio St -9Georgia -15 vs. FloridaClemson -10 at Florida StNotre Dame -1 at USCTexas vs. Oklahoma -12h/t @andrewssports— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) May 24, 2018Oklahoma and Texas are set to meet at the Cotton Bowl on Saturday, Oct. 6. It will hopefully be a good one.