Jo Swinson MP for East Dunbartonshire has been e

first_imgJo Swinson, MP for East Dunbartonshire, has been elected as the new leader of the Liberal Democrats today and will replace Sir Vince Cable. She received 47,900 votes, compared to Sir Ed Davey’s 28,021, on a turnout of 72%.Speaking after the result was announced, Swinson said was “delighted and over the moon” to be elected as the first female leader of the Lib Dems and claimed “liberalism is alive and thriving”.Commenting on the news, Labour Party chair Ian Lavery said: “Jo Swinson sat at the top table of the coalition government and voted for vicious attacks on the most vulnerable and tax cuts for the super-rich and big businesses.“Austerity couldn’t have happened without the Liberal Democrats – leading to shocking levels of child poverty, the tripling of tuition fees, a homelessness crisis and rising food bank use. Labour is the only party that can stop the Tories, and transform Britain so that it works for the many not the few.”The new Lib Dem leader served as a minister in the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government and supported the austerity agenda throughout that parliament. At a hustings during the leadership campaign, both Swinson and Davey said they did not accept that austerity was “the wrong economic policy in 2010”.Swinson voted to increase university tuition fees to £9,000 a year, to reduce local government funding, to lower corporation tax, for the bedroom tax, in favour of legal aid cuts, and consistently against higher benefits for those unable to work due to illness or disability.Although green issues were central to both of the Lib Dem candidates’ campaigns, Swinson voted against measures that would have restricted fracking activity in 2015 and against slowing the rise in rail fares under the coalition government.Tags:Lib Dems /Jo Swinson /Lib Dem leadership election 2019 /last_img read more

Police Briefly Cut Power and Close Bathrooms to SF Mission Hunger Strikers

first_img Tags: Mission Police Station • SFPD Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0% Protesters and police engaged in two confrontations on Monday night over the use of bathrooms and public space in and around Mission Police Station where 10 people are staging a hunger strike to unseat the Chief of Police Greg Suhr.Hunger strikers told Mission Local that around 8 p.m. on Monday, officers from Mission Station – unsolicited by any request from protesters – offered the strikers an ambulance. At the same time, they told strikers they would risk a citation and arrest if they did not move several tents outside the station. The tents have gone up over the five days of the hunger strike and police said the tents were blocking the sidewalk. Protesters declined the ambulance they had not requested.Photo by Lola M. ChavezThe officers returned inside the police station without making any arrests, but soon, friends and family of the hunger strikers were turned away from using the bathrooms inside Mission Station. Up until Monday night, protesters had been using the bathrooms throughout their strike. 0%center_img However, officers told them on Monday night that the bathrooms were out of order. Power inside the public areas of the station had also been shut off temporarily. The strikers had been using the power to charge their phones and other devices.Incensed, hunger strikers and their supporters flooded the station and began chanting.Photo by Lola M. Chavez“This is how they treat us, they won’t even let us use the bathroom. This is how they see us. We are not going to accept this,” said Maria Cristina Gutierrez, the 66-year-old preschool director who helped orchestrate the strike.Eventually, officers called in Edwin Lindo, a hunger striker who is also a candidate for District 9 supervisor, to work things out. Lindo was told the bathrooms were closed because they needed cleaning.“So you’re lying to us?” Lindo demanded.Shortly thereafter, the bathrooms were reopened, but protesters still anticipated the possibility of arrests in the coming days.“If we get arrested, the hunger strike is going to continue. We’re going to ask the community to continue to hold space so we are not forgotten,” Gutierrez said.Ike Pinkston, a teacher at Gutierrez’ school who has also been participating in the hunger strike, said he was ready to get arrested and go to jail.“I know I won’t be in there forever, and then I’m going to continue striking,” Pinkston said.But at least for Monday night, that option appeared to be off the table – Supervisor David Campos, who had arrived at the scene, told reporters that he had received an assurance from SFPD Chief Greg Suhr that nobody would be arrested that night.Campos called locking the bathrooms “silly,” adding, “This is the problem the community has with the police.”Outside the station, protesters continued to chant.Amaya Fairley Vazquez, 10-year-old niece to rapper and hunger striker Equipto (Ilych Sato), was emotional.“I’m proud of my uncle, he explained to me that he’s fighting for black people and for brown people, for us. He’s doing it for me,” she said.Activists asked their supporters to bring as many people as possible to the station to keep their presence there strong. They plan to hold a rally in front of the station on Tuesday evening, shortly before a monthly police community meeting.Photo by Lola M. ChavezPhoto by Lola M. Chavez last_img read more

STATE of Minds annual First Utility Super League

first_imgSTATE of Mind’s annual First Utility Super League State of Mind round of fixtures will take place on the weekend of July 7-10.Round 21 will champion this year’s State of Mind theme of dealing with change, and how it affects mental fitness.A special launch event was held at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington recently to kick-off the campaign, which included several current and former players sharing their stories in a series of videos that will be released to coincide with the campaign.As has been the case for the past five seasons, volunteers and mental health professionals will be on hand at every Super League fixture in the round to offer advice and provide information.Co-founder, Dr. Phil Cooper, said: “We wanted to get an international flavour to the theme this year, because mental fitness is important for everyone wherever you live in the world. State of Mind is all about improving people’s mental fitness and signposting people to where they can get help and support.“The main focus is around change. A lot of rugby league players will find themselves in situations where they either have to change club, coming to the end of their career, moving from one side of the world to the other or to a different country, and all that change brings different pressures for different people.“Players need to have their family support network around them, which is probably just as important as their squad mates.“It’s massively important that the RFL and Rugby League Cares are supportive in allowing us to have a round of fixtures. It’s a great credit to the RFL because it’s the only sport’s governing body in Britain that themes a round of fixtures around mental fitness.“The round give us a lot of exposure. It’s a big part of our work. The State of Mind round is a massive opportunity to get those messages about how you can get help and support around the changes in your own life.”To coincide with this year’s theme, a new State of Mind t-shirt has been designed by Luke McGeagh, as part of a competition run with fashion students at Liverpool John Moore’s University.Details on the activity surrounding the State of Mind round will be shared through official club channels in the coming weeks.For more information, visit www.stateofmindsport.orglast_img read more

Fresh from our 646 win over Sheffield Eagles on S

first_imgFresh from our 64-6 win over Sheffield Eagles on Saturday, Saints are now preparing to take on Leigh in their final hit out before the season gets underway.The Centurions come to town this Friday (January 26) in what is expected to be a tough contest.Justin Holbrook has indicated he will play a full-strength side as Saints continue the build up to their first Betfred Super League game of the season against Castleford.That means Ben Barba, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley and James Roby will all get a run alongside the rest of the starting line-up.“We’ll bring the senior boys back for our last hit out,” Justin said. “There’s around 12 or so that didn’t feature on Saturday that will on Friday.“We are looking forward to it.”Leigh narrowly lost to Wigan 22-14 on Sunday and with plenty of former Saints in the side – and coaching staff – will want to put in a strong performance before they face Toronto in their first game.Saints take on Leigh on Friday January 26 (8pm) with our first Betfred Super League game of the 2018 season coming a week later at home to Castleford on Friday February 2 (7:45pm).Tickets are now on sale from the Ticket Office at the Totally Wicked Stadium, by calling 01744 455 052 or by logging on here.last_img read more

Academy Reserves

first_imgA disappointing first half performance ultimately cost the Saints in this table top clash against the Rhinos. The defeat leaves them in third position with the visitors leapfrogging over them.Saints invited the Rhinos to attack with some unfortunate mistakes in the first half and found themselves a daunting 20 points behind at the break.As early as the third minute the Rhinos showed us a glimpse of what was to come as they went 40 metres through the right side of the Saints defence before a despairing tackle from Matty Foster saved a try. But from the play the ball the Rhinos had numbers down the left and scored through second row Walters, their best on the day.The Rhinos increased their lead on quarter time with the left winger diving through a poor tackle from Jack Welsby to score in the corner.The game could and should have been different had the Saints scored minutes later. Lewis Dodd’s footwork took him through the line on a 30 metre run but poor support meant he took the tackle. The Saints kept up the pressure but the chance was lost as John Hutchings found himself bundled into touch in the right corner.The game was ultimately won with two converted offload tries in the last 10 minutes of the half. Walters scored his second benefitting from an offload which came despite four Saints players being involved in the tackle, the second as he himself offloaded and his half back scooted unopposed to the posts.The second half started with more of the same from the Rhinos as yet another offload in the tackle resulted in a barge over close to the posts.But this sparked the Saints into life. They found a way to put the game plan into action and all of a sudden started to trouble the Rhinos.Drives out of defence from Nico Rizzelli and Hutchings got the Saints onto the front foot. Jack Welsby’s show and go 40 metre run brought him to the fullback. He committed him before passing inside to the supporting Dodd who went the final 30 to the posts and the Saints were on the board.Finally the Saints were barring up down the middle and kicking well to turn the big Rhino’s pack around and make them come off their own line. The Saints had certainly found their mojo and back to back tries five minutes later caused considerable panic in the visitors ranks.From a high bomb Jumah Sambou knocked the ball back and it was scooped up by Welsby. A jink, a step and a hand-off and he was off on a 70 metre run down the left. He passed inside to Rizzelli but the centre was caught just short of the line. A quick play the ball to the right to Welsby saw him feed Ryan Horne whose overhead pass gave Tom Nisbett the chance to put Hutchings in at the corner.From the kick off this time it was Rizzelli who broke the Rhinos line. He went through the middle and finding his Captain Sam Royle on his inside. The Skipper found himself with 60 metres of open space in front of him but with all number of blue jersey’s converging on him. Sensibly he didn’t panic, just kept on running and took the tackle. A quick play the ball to the left and Dodd’s miss pass fittingly put Rizzelli in to score the try he started.Dodd’s conversion meant the Saints were only 10 behind and most of the Rhinos players took an age to get back to the middle to restart the game. The momentum was all with the Saints but a couple of poor grubber kicks later and the pressure had been relieved.The Rhinos made the game safe 10 minutes from capitalising on a Saints mistake. There was just time for one final reply from the Saints at the final whistle as Jake Wingfield and Hutchings carved out a chance for Matty Foster 40 metres out. But his exhaustion from his, as ever, 80 minute all out performance meant that he was hauled down inches short and the chance was lost.The Saints won the second half and more than competed in doing so. A slow start ultimately cost the Saints on the night, and this needs to be addressed for the bigger games over the course of the season.Sam Royle, Matty Foster and Jake Wingfield worked hard in the pack ably supported by Nico Rizzelli’s tireless running. Jack Welsby showed his class in spurts today but Lewis Dodd was involved in all that was good about the Saints.Saints U19’s Team: Jack Welsby; Tom Nisbett, John Hutchings, Nico Rizzelli, Jumah Sambou; Ryan Horne, Lewis Dodd; Jamie Pye, Paul Nash, Sam Royle (C), Matty Foster, Lewis Baxter, Jake Wingfield. Interchange: Keenan McDaid, Harry Brooks, Joe Sharratt, Warren Smith. Tries : Lewis Dodd (47), John Hutchings (54), Nico Rizzelli (56). Goals : Lewis Dodd 2 from 3.Leeds Rhinos U19’s Team: Liam Whitton; Liam Tindall, Tom Barton, Jack Broadbent, Iwan Stephens; Jack Mallinson, Callum McLelland; Loui McConnell, Corey Johnson, Muizz Mustapha, Sam Walters, Owen Trout, Jarrod O’Connor. Interchange: Oliver Burton, Tom Holroyd, Harry Georgiou, Sam Moorhouse. Tries : Sam Walters (3 & 30), Iwan Stephens (19), Callum McLelland (37), Harry Georgiou (42), Liam Whitton (71). Goals : Jack Mallinson 3 from 5, Iwan Stephens 1 from 1.Half Time : Saints U19’s Team 0 Leeds Rhinos U19’s Team 20Full Time : Saints U19’s Team 16 Leeds Rhinos U19’s Team 32last_img read more

Man dead after shooting at Whiteville apartment complex

first_imgWHITEVILLE, NC (WWAY) — A shooting last night at around 9:30 p.m. left one man dead in Whiteville.26-year-old Bobby Lee Johnson was shot multiple times, according to Whiteville Police Chief Jeffrey Rosier.- Advertisement – Rosier says Johnson was found lying in front of the Sandy Ridge Apartments.He was transported Columbus Regional Healthcare System where he was pronounced dead.Whiteville Police and SBI are investigating the case.Related Article: Weekend checkpoint in Tabor City yields more than 60 violationsRosier says they are looking into some suspects now.last_img

Guy Fieri to shoot Diners DriveIns and Dives in Wilmington

first_imgWILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A famous face on Food Network will be heading to the Cape Fear to showcase some tasty restaurants in our community.Guy Fieri of ‘Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives’ will be here next week to film inside of local restaurants with featured chefs cooking signature dishes.- Advertisement – According to a filming permit, Fieri will be filming Wednesday, Jan. 24, and Thursday, Jan. 25, at Copper Penny, Ceviche’s, Sweet n Savory Café, Something Fishy, Fork N Cork.WWAY learned last July that he would be in town for a GLOW Academy fundraiser January 25-26.last_img

Early voting in Leland moves to Belville

first_img The reason, the board said there is a lack of available buildings in Leland. An issue some argue is not the case.For the past few years people could vote at the Leland Cultural Arts Center and Leland Town Hall, but not anymore.While the board believes this is the right move, many are upset with the decision and argue the change will only confuse Leland residents and possibly deter some from early voting.Related Article: Republicans lose veto-proof majority in NC House“I think that some accommodations could have been made,” concerned voter, Veronica Carter said. “And it sounds like again, there were some hurt feelings and some misunderstands. And the people who come out on the short end might be the residents of Northern Brunswick County.”“I am happy that we have a location to offer early voting in the northern end of the county,” Brunswick County Board of Elections Director, Sara Knotts said. “That was my initial concern is that if we weren’t able to offer early voting in the northern end of county our election day precincts would be bursting at the seams essentially. We wouldn’t have room in those facilities to accommodate the added flow.”Early voting begins April 19 and runs until May 5.However, they will be closed on Sundays. BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The Brunswick County Board of Elections voted to change the location of its early voting site for this year’s primary Tuesday afternoon.The Board of Elections changed the site to Belville Town Hall.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Sheriffs deputy shows off dance moves at community event

first_imgNEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The new health program that has been getting the community moving also has some of New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office deputies showing off some of their moves too.Dancin’ in the Park is a free eight week outdoor fitness celebration organized by New Hanover Regional Medical Center and the YMCA. Last week one deputy even started breaking it down with the community.- Advertisement – The Sheriff’s Office said they plan to be out at the event for the next several weeks to spend some time with the community.“Well I think it is always important to have an open line of communication with the public because that’s who we serve and if they can trust us that’s what they are supposed to do,” Deputy Gene K. Moore said.Deputy Moore said he had a blast dancing with everyone and that keeping a good relationship with the community is important to the Sheriff’s Office. Dancin’ in the Park is held every Saturday until May 5th.last_img read more

Long time NC Azalea Festival volunteer receives international award

first_img Lawler has served the North Carolina Azalea Festival in almost every way imaginable. She began her festival journey in 1960 and has since given more than 50 years of continual service to the Azalea Festival.Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo and New Hanover County Commission Vice Chair Skip Watkins helped celebrate and show thanks to Lawler for all her years of hard work at Monday’s Azalea Festival meeting.“Oh, it’s just fantastic,” Lawler said. “I love where I live, and being a volunteer has just been so easy, and when I got involved with the Azalea Festival we just had great people. They love their community, and they want to give back. That’s what it’s all about.”Related Article: Azalea Festival named among top 20 events in April in the southeastLawler says her granddaughter is a freshman in high school and plans to begin volunteering for the festival. She says that the inspiration to the next generation is enough of an award in itself. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A longtime member of the Azalea Festival is getting international recognition.The International Festivals & Events Association recently announced Jean Lawler received the 2018 IFEA Volunteer of the Year Award.- Advertisement – last_img read more